Oregon sulcata owner needs advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenn Flynn

5 Year Member
Hello people, my name is Jenn & in my sulcata Charlie s tank,I've just recently noticed these little fruit fly type bugs that were never there before. In his/her tank I have alpha pellets & this bark twiggy mixture I bought in the reptile isle at a pet store. Any suggestions on a way to end this rubbish? Thx B-).
Jenn

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR.
Time to clean out the substrate, unfortunately they can come with eggs already laid in them. Some people Freeze the substrate for at least 24rs before using it. But they only go away with fresh substrate. otherwise they breed forever & make it there new home... Harmless but they are annoying as heck...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D and we LOVE PICS :p

Well, the little sprintails (usually what insect you find in substrate :p) are annoying but not harmful....I have noticed that their population eventually dwindles down....if this is what you have :D

I do feel compelled to share with you...the rabbit pellet as a substrate is not a good material....you can use coco coir...finely processed peat moss...organic soil (without fertilizer or plant growth chemicals) or good ole fashion clean dirt (no pesticides or herbicides )and are much healthier choices....:p

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME:D. The little flying bugs went away for me when I switched to coconut coir. The pellets are the worst you could use for a tortoise. Please read the threads at the bottom of my post by my signature, to raise a healthy happy smooth sulcata.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jenn:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

They don't hurt anything, but if they really bother you, you can remove the tortoise temporarily to a safe place and spread the substrate out in the sun to dry out. This will kill the bugs, but once you bring it back inside and moisten it again, more bug eggs will hatch out.

Best you can do is to keep the substrate clean by spot cleaning and picking out all the un-eaten food daily.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Welcome, they usually are no hard more of a pest.
Some will freeze or even bake there substrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.