Orchid Bark

Donut

Location (City and/or State)
Orlando, FL
I am new to owning Russian tortoise and still trying to figure out best substrate for her indoor enclosure. She is around 5 years old. There are so many options that work from what I read but it seems like a lot of people really like Orchid Bark. Is this the best choice? Also do I just buy it from Home Depot (like one meant for Orchids) or do I need to buy one at the pet store specifically for reptiles? Should it be organic? I also see there are different sizes of chips.....Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Get the Orchid bark at the hardware store.
Make sure it's the kind with nothing added.
Don't buy any "Orchid bark mix" or anything with fertilizer, etc.
Don't think that the pet store stuff is better because it has a cartoon turtle on the bag.

Attachments

• 20191221_162920.jpg
    20191221_162920.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 43

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
For a 5 year old Russian Tortoise (inside enclosure) I would recommend the fine grade orchid Bark (which is the small pieces). You can buy it in bulk at a plant nursery.

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
I am new to owning Russian tortoise and still trying to figure out best substrate for her indoor enclosure. She is around 5 years old. There are so many options that work from what I read but it seems like a lot of people really like Orchid Bark. Is this the best choice? Also do I just buy it from Home Depot (like one meant for Orchids) or do I need to buy one at the pet store specifically for reptiles? Should it be organic? I also see there are different sizes of chips.....Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I love orchid bark. I buy mine from Amazon

Donut

Orlando, FL
Makes sense thank you so much!
Hey one more question if you don’t mind please. I bought this orchid bark you suggested today at Home Depot. I notice it does have some dust on it. Should I rinse it then dry it before putting into enclosure? Or is it ok for tort to put in as is? Thanks so much in advance!

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
Hey one more question if you don’t mind please. I bought this orchid bark you suggested today at Home Depot. I notice it does have some dust on it. Should I rinse it then dry it before putting into enclosure? Or is it ok for tort to put in as is? Thanks so much in advance!
It is a bit dusty but I pour water on it and stir it up to moisten it. Mist it daily and give your tort daily baths. My Sully loves his baths!

Donut

Orlando, FL
It is a bit dusty but I pour water on it and stir it up to moisten it. Mist it daily and give your tort daily baths. My Sully loves his baths!
Awesome thanks so much! My Donut doesn’t seem to mind baths but she does get a bit restless about 10-15 min into it and is just trying to climb out at that point. I don’t know if I’m suppose to make her stay longer but I normally just take her out then

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
Awesome thanks so much! My Donut doesn’t seem to mind baths but she does get a bit restless about 10-15 min into it and is just trying to climb out at that point. I don’t know if I’m suppose to make her stay longer but I normally just take her out then
That’s fine. Some days Dexter poops and I have to change the water 2-3 times. Make sure to keep water warm to hot. He will “swim” for a little while, good exercise. 10-15 minutes is fine. Each tort is different. Mine is now in a 6 qt bowl! Lol