orchid bark

C-Turtle

Location (City and/or State)
Lodi, CA
It’s good stuff. Worth every penny. Amazon is a real time saver. If I wanted an inexpensive pet I would’ve gotten brine shrimp, not a tortoise...

SheLLife

Kentucky
Hey everybody. Why is the orchid bark so desirable? I have coco choir and cypress mulch.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The reason I don't like coco coir is because of the strings. I don't like the idea of a string hanging out of the tortoise's mouth or cloaca.

The reason I don't like cypress mulch (actually I DO like cypress mulch) is because it is being over-harvested and putting the trees in danger.

The reason I like orchid bark is because it is a clean product and because it doesn't cause impaction if ingested. Orchids require a clean medium due to their sensitive nature. It comes from fir trees, which are not in danger of over harvesting, and it is cleaned thoroughly for the orchids.

SheLLife

Kentucky
The reason I don't like coco coir is because of the strings. I don't like the idea of a string hanging out of the tortoise's mouth or cloaca.

The reason I don't like cypress mulch (actually I DO like cypress mulch) is because it is being over-harvested and putting the trees in danger.

The reason I like orchid bark is because it is a clean product and because it doesn't cause impaction if ingested. Orchids require a clean medium due to their sensitive nature. It comes from fir trees, which are not in danger of over harvesting, and it is cleaned thoroughly for the orchids.
Thank you so much. I didn't realize the orchid bark is the fir bark. I found some flukers reptabark and some reptibark from zoo med. The zoo med says it's washable and reusable. Any experience with either?

Erik Elvis

Delaware
I can’t find orchid/fir bark anywhere in Delaware. So I’m stuck with the next thing which would be....???

I do have a ton of zoo med forest floor cypress bedding that I’ll likely use. I have coco coir in me leopard cage which works fine if you keep it moist. Once it starts to dry out it becomes a mess.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you so much. I didn't realize the orchid bark is the fir bark. I found some flukers reptabark and some reptibark from zoo med. The zoo med says it's washable and reusable. Any experience with either?
Both are good products, however, quite expensive for the size bag you get. It might be ok for one tiny tortoise's enclosure, but I have many, many tortoises

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I can’t find orchid/fir bark anywhere in Delaware. So I’m stuck with the next thing which would be....???

I do have a ton of zoo med forest floor cypress bedding that I’ll likely use. I have coco coir in me leopard cage which works fine if you keep it moist. Once it starts to dry out it becomes a mess.

Ive always had very good success with cypress mulch in 2 cubic feet bags from Home Depot or Lowes.

I see this too at Walmart - https://www.walmart.com/ip/No-Float-Cypress-Mulch-2CF-by-Oldcastle/33076244

NoFloat Cypress Mulch, 2 cu ft:
  • Weaves together so it will not float away
  • Helps suppresses weed growth
  • Helps retain moisture in soil to reduce the need for watering
  • Insulates to protect plants from extreme temperatures
  • Mulch and Soil Council certified for product assurance
  • Natural Cypress mulch contains no fillers
  • Resists many type of insects and fungi

Erik Elvis

Delaware
I’ll have to check the local stores to see if they have cypress mulch. Would likely be much more economical than the zoo med. but I’m not sure I have seen it around here.