Orchid bark????

Myakoda

Location (City and/or State)
AZ.
I get mine here at a local nursery. Nobody els seems to be able to get it elsewhere.
View attachment 314968
Oh ok, I remember you recommened organic orhid bark.You did mention it's very hard to find.... I've been looking for that feed, from early last year. I can't find it, this is why I chimed in on here lol. We used it for a long time, we bought a lot of bags. It last like you said. Now, looks like I'm getting the same stuff, but it doesn't say organic, nor list the ingredints. It just says 100% fir bark. annoys me when they change procduct info. Ugh!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh ok, I remember you recommened organic orhid bark.You did mention it's very hard to find.... I've been looking for that feed, from early last year. I can't find it, this is why I chimed in on here lol. We used it for a long time, we bought a lot of bags. It last like you said. Now, looks like I'm getting the same stuff, but it doesn't say organic, nor list the ingredints. It just says 100% fir bark. annoys me when they change procduct info. Ugh!
I've never found it labeled "organic". But it is organic if its just 100% fir bark.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Personally, when anything is labeled "organic" it's just more expensive.
I used to live in Fresno Calif and bought huge quantities of orchid bark from Orchard Hardware.
15 years ago I moved to Oregon. I made a real search to find orchid bark here in the Timber State literally no Orchid bark. So I more frequently made the 1600 mile round trip to see my sis and get Orchid bark. Then at the end of 2020 my neighborhood starting cutting down trees to put in more houses, they put the sections and a major pile of what really looked like cypress mulch free for the taking. I brought back as much of the barks stuff that I wanted, piled it in the yard and let it get rained on. I was told there is only fir bark, no pine. It didn't smell wet, and the pieces were great, and it was free. So I am changing my substrate as needed. However, most of my animals are special needs and I have 2 that are missing limbs and it seems to be a little hard to walk on...

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Per the Fed---Products labeled “organic” must contain at least 95% organically produced ingredients (excluding water and salt). Any remaining ingredients must consist of non-agricultural substances that appear on the NOP National List of Allowed and Prohibited Substances.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use Reptibark as well and put in a few handfuls of Timothy grass
This is a mistake. The bark needs to be kept damp and this will make the hay mold.

Plain orchid bark works best. Especially in your humid rainy climate.

Cgeyer

Concord, MA
I have used fir bark for years for repotting Orchids. Kelly’s Korner Orchid Supplies always has fine in bags as large as 2 cubic feet. There is an odor which concerns my wife, Patricia. I use it with Star Tortoises. I think some are more sensitive to the smell.