Orchid Bark

Vincenza

5 Year Member
I've been looking into switching my substrate to orchid bark. I found this stuff online since there aren't any stores near me that sell it, and called to confirm that it is 100% fir bark. Are the chips the right size for an adult male Russian tort? Also, do you need to mix it with water or anything before going in the enclosure? I've seen orchid bark get great reviews on this site, I'm just not sure how to actually use it, if you know what I mean.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I love the stuff. I place a layer of potting soil or compost on top and water in through the corners. The bark will absorb the moisture leaving you with high humidity and a dry(ish) top layer for your tort.
Don't use top soil for the top layer. Too much sand.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Just keep it damp, but not wet to aid humidity and spot clean when your tortoise poops.
Looks nice.

SoCalGreek

Southern California
I've been looking into switching my substrate to orchid bark. I found this stuff online since there aren't any stores near me that sell it, and called to confirm that it is 100% fir bark. Are the chips the right size for an adult male Russian tort? Also, do you need to mix it with water or anything before going in the enclosure? I've seen orchid bark get great reviews on this site, I'm just not sure how to actually use it, if you know what I mean.
Hi there-
I know this post was a long while ago, but I’m hoping you can dig up the name of the bark you use/used. I followed the link, but the company was rebranded and the website isn’t working any longer. I have an adult male Greek and have struggled to find a really good substrate for him. Thanks in advance for any advice you can share.

Glosseryck

MALMKÖPING
Hi there-
I know this post was a long while ago, but I’m hoping you can dig up the name of the bark you use/used. I followed the link, but the company was rebranded and the website isn’t working any longer. I have an adult male Greek and have struggled to find a really good substrate for him. Thanks in advance for any advice you can share.
Hello! I have an adult Greek male and I use bark for him
So honestly, I would recommend getting some from a flower shop. Just make sure nothing is added to it. I got a big bag of 40L for 4 bucks, it's perfect. As long as the pieces are big and there's nothing added, you can't really go wrong with what kind of bark it is. My greek absolutely loves his bark, I really hope you switch because I can really tell the difference it's made in my torts happiness. Good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi there-
In SoCal you should be able to find fine grade orchid bark in bulk at local plant nurseries. I use this one, but there are others:
Orchid Bark.JPG

timus

5 Year Member
Eastern Shore of Maryland
I’m currently putting together a sealed chamber for 4 western hermanns I’ll came coming later this summer. I originally planned to go with a mix of top soil and coco with a 2 inch layer of cypress on top. After having read through some things on here I think I would just rather go with a straight orchid bark substrate. I’m not sure as to what size bark to go with and also how much would I need to do a 8x2 chamber with around 4 inches of bark. Hoping someone knowledgeable can drop so guidance here?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I use straight orchid bark. Out if the bag and for the first week or so the product is damp but as that dries out I spray with a water sprayer morning and night. If the enclosure is enclosed your aiming for humidity to help smooth shell growth.

timus

5 Year Member
I was wondering what size orchid bark and was hoping maybe someone could help with how much I would need to cover a 8x2 with 4 inches of substrate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was wondering what size orchid bark and was hoping maybe someone could help with how much I would need to cover a 8x2 with 4 inches of substrate.
Fine grade.

4.0 cu. ft. will give you about 4 inches in an 8x2' enclosure.

timus

5 Year Member
Tom what’s your view on the size of the enclosure to start them in? I believe I read on here that you or someone else said smaller is better for hatchlings and the breeder said to go smaller at first. I planned to start them in half of the 8x2 then open it up fully after they grow just a bit.