Opuntia Pad Browning

Tommy03

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hello,

I’ve just bought an Opuntia Pad for the first time for my adult Russian but it has browned before I even got to feed it to him. The shop says it's because the cut is starting to heal but just wanted to check whether this is okay/safe to feed to him, especially since it was delivered loose & unwrapped in a cupboard box amongst other ordered items?

If okay to feed, how should it be prepared in terms of cutting it up, etc & how often? Also, how should it be stored & roughly when will it expire?

Thanks! :)

Attachments

• Cactus.jpg
    Cactus.jpg
    601.9 KB · Views: 19

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hello,

I’ve just bought an Opuntia Pad for the first time for my adult Russian but it has browned before I even got to feed it to him. The shop says it's because the cut is starting to heal but just wanted to check whether this is okay/safe to feed to him, especially since it was delivered loose & unwrapped in a cupboard box amongst other ordered items?

If okay to feed, how should it be prepared in terms of cutting it up, etc & how often? Also, how should it be stored & roughly when will it expire?

Thanks! :)
Yes, there is nothing wrong with that pad. A cut end will heal over that way and turn brown. You actually need to do that if you want to plant it and have it grow as the scarred end is needed for best result for planting. It is fine as it is for food.

Tommy03

England
Yes, there is nothing wrong with that pad. A cut end will heal over that way and turn brown. You actually need to do that if you want to plant it and have it grow as the scarred end is needed for best result for planting. It is fine as it is for food.
Okay, thank you. I might look into how to plant it instead then!

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Very simple to plant. Get some good draining soil( i used orchid mix soil and they grew very well)

Tommy03

England
Very simple to plant. Get some good draining soil( i used orchid mix soil and they grew very well)
Great, thanks very much! Sorry if this is a silly question, but should I put the side that is healing over into the soil or is it possible to cut it into smaller pads? Just wondering so I know which size pot to get

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Great, thanks very much! Sorry if this is a silly question, but should I put the side that is healing over into the soil or is it possible to cut it into smaller pads? Just wondering so I know which size pot to get
Put the healed over section about an inch or 2 into the soil. Water well and give it some sun. Then only water maybe every 2 weeks