opuntia breeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragnikla

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
owings mills, MD
I want to start planting my prickly pear plants now, and I am aware that there are many different varieties. I bought some opuntia seeds without checking exactly what type. (oops) and I planted them in pots, but i get the impression they could take forever to sprout. So now i am looking for either rooted plants or pads.
My question is are all types of opuntia edible. Someone told me that opuntia cochenillifera was edible but it didn't taste as good as indica. I thought that Indica was best grown in warm climates, and we get alot of snow in the winters. does cochenilifera really taste that bad?
Also they told me that the dwarf kind opuntia paraguayensis was not edible (in capital letters). However I have seen on a list for red and yellow foot tortoises that the fruit and leaves of paraguayensis are edible. Are these just poisonous to humans. What about the opuntia humifusa? I am looking for a plant that tastes good, grows quickly, can withstand cold, and wont kill me or the tortoise. Thanks in advance for your help.

here is a picture of the paraquayensis plant paraquayensis.jpg

Also here is a picture of the opuntia seeds I purchased. not very clear, but they are tan and red colored.
DSC03695.JPG

And this is a picture of what the plant should look like when it grows up
BElu5wCGkKGrHgoH-DsEjlLl0BVjBKpwBkBlg_12.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
None of the opuntias (prickly pears) are poisonous. In your climate humifusa grows wild and would suggest that one. The others you mentioned are tropical or subtropical. Humifusa is eaten by wide range of animals in the wild and I know from personal experience (I grow my own in Iowa) that torts love them.

dragnikla

5 Year Member
owings mills, MD
Itort said:
None of the opuntias (prickly pears) are poisonous. In your climate humifusa grows wild and would suggest that one. The others you mentioned are tropical or subtropical. Humifusa is eaten by wide range of animals in the wild and I know from personal experience (I grow my own in Iowa) that torts love them.

great thanks so much, i just wanted to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.