Opo's left eye swollen.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Yesterday when giving a soak. I noticed the left eye closed. This morning everything was fine. Went out for morning graze. I went and did some errands and at 11:30 gave Opo a soak. After the soak he ate some cactus and went to bed. When he woke up about 2 PM I took him out for a graze. During grazing his eyelid closed again. I sprayed water on his head when we came back into the screen porch. He is eating and acting normal.
Here are pics from last night and today. 20190506_175734.jpg 20190507_145950.jpg

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Yesterday when giving a soak. I noticed the left eye closed. This morning everything was fine. Went out for morning graze. I went and did some errands and at 11:30 gave Opo a soak. After the soak he ate some cactus and went to bed. When he woke up about 2 PM I took him out for a graze. During grazing his eyelid closed again. I sprayed water on his head when we came back into the screen porch. He is eating and acting normal.
Here are pics from last night and today. View attachment 271614 View attachment 271615
Oh Opo, it’s one thing after another with you.:D

I have no words of wisdom but I’m sure he will be fine Ray, he’s a sulcata after all. Best wishes to you both.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
One though that just came to mind, could it be the medication your giving him or could it of got in his eye. This is just guesswork here.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
One though that just came to mind, could it be the medication your giving him or could it of got in his eye. This is just guesswork here.
I guess it could be possible because I mixed it with mazuri. Everything was fine today until he went grazing this afternoon. I guess the eye isn't swollen but he keeps it closed.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I guess it could be possible because I mixed it with mazuri. Everything was fine today until he went grazing this afternoon. I guess the eye isn't swollen but he keeps it closed.
Is there anyway you could open the eyelid and kinda flush it out. It’s definitely going to be harder than it sounds as he will probably pull in to his shell.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Is there anyway you could open the eyelid and kinda flush it out. It’s definitely going to be harder than it sounds as he will probably pull in to his shell.
I think that my be above my pay grade :)

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Well crap!! Opo is becoming very high maintenance.. I would try running a good bit of water over his head. That always makes mine wipe his eyes. Maybe you can flush it out with his help:)

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Well crap!! Opo is becoming very high maintenance.. I would try running a good bit of water over his head. That always makes mine wipe his eyes. Maybe you can flush it out with his help:)

This sounds like a good suggestion. Maybe something in the yard poked him or irritated his eye while he was grazing?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Thanks EllieMay yeah I think running water over his head is better than spraying.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
This sounds like a good suggestion. Maybe something in the yard poked him or irritated his eye while he was grazing?
You know I was thinking about that. This spring Opo has decided he likes grass. Maybe when he is eating vigorously he runs a blade of grass across his eye.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
When in doubt - Always soak.

Dehydrated? Soak.
Not eating? Soak
Constipated? Soak
Ate an odd leaf or plant? Soak
Shell looking dry.? Soak

Rule one - soak often. Soak again. It “fixes” a lot of things.
Thanks I soaked that all in:D