Opo,s shell chipped.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Opo has a chip on his shell. Rose noticed today a light spot on the inner left leg. It is not open or bleeding or draining. To me it looks like he might have scraped it on the chip on the shell. When he is digging and throwing dirt behind him.
Any thoughts?
20210601_153419.jpg
Here you can see the white spot on leg right by the edge of the shell.
20210601_153038.jpg
Here you can see the chipped edge and the white spot on leg. Should I take a emery board and smooth it out?20210601_160625.jpg
Here is a better pic.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Iines up pretty darn good. I think the chip is the culprit.
You could try filing the ruff edges of the chip down. Regular finger nail file or even try a finger nail buffer.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Iines up pretty darn good. I think the chip is the culprit.
You could try filing the ruff edges of the chip down. Regular finger nail file or even try a finger nail buffer.
Great thanks! The last pic shows a little red maybe blood. Do you think just keep it clean or should I put some triple antibiotic ointment on it? If I do that I will need to clean everyday. There would be no way to keep dirt out of it.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I would just keep it clean and keep an eye on it. It likely will be fine. If any changes for the worse then put some antibiotic cream on it.
I will hold back on making mud puddles for Opo. That's when he really flings the mud up on his shell. He looks forward to it every day. He will sit in that spot until I turn the sprinkler on.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I will hold back on making mud puddles for Opo. That's when he really flings the mud up on his shell. He looks forward to it every day. He will sit in that spot until I turn the sprinkler on.
Yea I think he will have to wait a bit on that. If he gets too ticked off just spray him with a hose away from the mud. That should hold him off for a little while.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
How's Opo's leg doing? Vlad has added a few new chips to his front marginal scutes this season. Not sure what he's banging into yet.