Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Seriously, I’m really impressed to see how he grew up

You are awesome!
View attachment 318971
Thank you. That pic is almost 4 years ago. We bought Opo at a repticon show and the guy put him in a sock for us to take Opo home. I couldn't wait to get home!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Opo has been off for a couple of weeks. Ever since the weather stabilized. He had me worried enough to make a vet appointment for fri. I want at least to have a stool sample checked. But today I soaked him in squash puree and water. He actually drank more than I have ever seen when soaking. I know the tub is tight but I used what I had to contain the mixture. His regular pool is bigger.
Anyways when he got out he actually grazed the backyard. I am probably being over cautious, but Opo is almost 4 years old and I am still learning his actions.
20210302_145928.jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Opo had a visit to the vet yesterday. He was acting unusual to me for a few weeks. He does have worms but the vet thinks the weather change is the real effect.
They have a sully there that a year ago was brought to them from Florida Wild and Game. She had been hit by a car and broke the carapace and plastrom on the side. Seems to have healed well.
The vet asked if she could let their sully meet Opo.
Opo doesn't play well with others.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Well Opo is back to being himself. Gave him 3 days of pancur. The vet says wait a week then 3 more days of pancur. @Yvonne G or @KarenSoCal does a week wait for more meds sound right. I thought it took longer for eggs to hatch then that?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Well Opo is back to being himself. Gave him 3 days of pancur. The vet says wait a week then 3 more days of pancur. @Yvonne G or @KarenSoCal does a week wait for more meds sound right. I thought it took longer for eggs to hatch then that?

I've never needed to use panacur, so I'm not sure. @ZEROPILOT knows about it...he posted something recently on it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've never needed to use panacur, so I'm not sure. @ZEROPILOT knows about it...he posted something recently on it.
Yes
The one week apart dosage kills any newly hatched eggs.
Sometimes you'll find dead and dying worms in the poop. Sometimes the tortoises digestive tract will just absorb them.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Yes
The one week apart dosage kills any newly hatched eggs.
Sometimes you'll find dead and dying worms in the poop. Sometimes the tortoises digestive tract will just absorb them.
Thanks, would there be a reason a week after the 2nd dose. I should give another 3 day dose for any remaining eggs that might have hatched?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks, would there be a reason a week after the 2nd dose. I should give another 3 day dose for any remaining eggs that might have hatched?
I'm not sure.
I mean it SOUNDS logical.
But PANACUR is a mild poison. So I can't say.
Ive never had a treatment fail with two doses. One week apart.
If it were me, I'd wait a few months then do it all over again. But I'll bet you that won't be needed.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I'm not sure.
If it were me, I'd wait a few months then do it all over again. But I'll bet you that won't be needed.
My Vet does something I have never heard anyone else doing. She puts Panacur in the cloaca. Then about a week later it's the second treatment. The tort I'm talking about had pinworms.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
My Vet does something I have never heard anyone else doing. She puts Panacur in the cloaca. Then about a week later it's the second treatment. The tort I'm talking about had pinworms.
Boy
That must be fun.
I wonder how that would treat anything more than the very lower GI tract.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I'm not sure.
Ok thanks, I will stick with the vet's orders. I am thinking many members were right about Opo being a little off was because of the weather change. All new to me.?
I won't be as alarmed next yr. I am glad the worms were found though.
How is Wild Child and the rescue doing?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Oh like a suppository. It a secret that the lower end exits linings have excellent absorbing abilities. For you human the best anti-nausea meds are suppositories.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ok thanks, I will stick with the vet's orders. I am thinking many members were right about Opo being a little off was because of the weather change. All new to me.?
I won't be as alarmed next yr. I am glad the worms were found though.
How is Wild Child and the rescue doing?
Anything that comes along to upset things and lower the animals natural resistance can also cause a surge in parasites.
Wild Child is great. And almost 100% smooth.
He's been a very cool little surprise.
I'll be posting up some photos of the gang soon. He's (she's)going to be included.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Opo has always had a shallow hole here. This evening around 6 pm (which is way past his bedtime) he decided to start digging to China.?
Didn't seem he was going to stop, so I got the hose out. As soon as water entered the burrow, he backed right out. Rose filled the hole and we blocked it. He was very aggravated. This is the first time he has dug a burrow.
20210429_185902.jpg

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Opo has always had a shallow hole here. This evening around 6 pm (which is way past his bedtime) he decided to start digging to China.?
Didn't seem he was going to stop, so I got the hose out. As soon as water entered the burrow, he backed right out. Rose filled the hole and we blocked it. He was very aggravated. This is the first time he has dug a burrow.
View attachment 324219
Getting hot.. Crusher has started again this year. He’s the only one out of my two that digs ! I’ve got to get him a barrel this year!