Opinions on tortoise's eye?

Tortoiseowner93

Hi, I am fairly new to tortoise membership and was just wondering if, from the pictures, you could tell if they eyes look swollen/puffy or do they look normal? I've not noticed any running of the eyes or sleep in them, just the occasional bubble when the tortoise blinks.

Thanks

1489589367627.jpg 1489589378636.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The pic for me is kinda hazy. They look fine though. However the enclosure is too dry and I would not use those wood chips. Soil, coconut coir, orchid bark or the dark colored wood chips sold for reptiles is much better and will retain some moisture to add some humidity to the enclosure. Please read the adult Russian caresheet in the Russian section and make adjustments

Tortoiseowner93

Thank you for the reply. I am planning to get new substrate tomorrow for the enclosure.

May I ask at what point does the tortoise become an adult? When purchased I was informed that the age was around 1 year.

Thanks again

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree with Wellington. I think the dry substrate, and the TYPE of substrate is irritating the baby's eyes.

Russian tortoises aren't full grown until they get to be about 5 or 6 years old.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
At what age can I breed my female tortoise? She is almost 2 years old now.
At sexual maturity. 3/4 years?
But READ, READ and READ about Russians and pairs in general.
Breeding is one thing.
Keeping two Russians together is another.
It might be much more difficult than you are aware of.
Russian tortoises are very anti social. Probably pound for pound the scrappiest species out there.