Opinions on My Hermann’s Boy’s New Setup

Quixx66

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Hi All,
Mateo is now 8 months old. I got him a new much larger water dish and a much, much larger humid hide, I thought it was time to give him the rocks that I’d bought for him even before he was even conceived now that he’s bigger and no longer routinely flips over.

I switched the substrate from Reptisoil and chunky Eco Earth coir to exclusively very fine Eco Earth coir. And then I added the rocks sticking them into the

Do you think the scale and shape of the rocks are safe for him? I don’t want him to flip.

Is the jumbo reptile hide too big for him? I was trying to accommodate his shell but I think I overdid it. It maybe takes up too much space. You can see the outline on the pic where I romove it.

Any other suggestions or comments? Any other toy ideas?

Thanks!

0731B863-E4BF-40E0-B27E-698B9E03D06B.jpeg33C02C07-698B-43A2-B446-2039D68B8048.jpeg2CC05DAD-E9FC-477B-A752-E068B8B2EC51.jpegB694D72A-B7CD-4885-902B-DE25C1B88C96.jpeg0731B863-E4BF-40E0-B27E-698B9E03D06B.jpeg

nicoleann2214

NY
Hi All,
Mateo is now 8 months old. I got him a new much larger water dish and a much, much larger humid hide, I thought it was time to give him the rocks that I’d bought for him even before he was even conceived now that he’s bigger and no longer routinely flips over.

I switched the substrate from Reptisoil and chunky Eco Earth coir to exclusively very fine Eco Earth coir. And then I added the rocks sticking them into the

Do you think the scale and shape of the rocks are safe for him? I don’t want him to flip.

Is the jumbo reptile hide too big for him? I was trying to accommodate his shell but I think I overdid it. It maybe takes up too much space. You can see the outline on the pic where I romove it.

Thanks!

View attachment 315960View attachment 315957View attachment 315958View attachment 315959View attachment 315960
Looks good. I don’t think the rocks are a bad thing. If it were my enclosure I’d add more substrate to level it with the water dish then I don’t think you’d have a worry for flipping. :)

nicoleann2214

NY
Hi All,

Thanks!

View attachment 315960View attachment 315957View attachment 315958View attachment 315959View attachment 315960
Perhaps you could substitute the rocks with plants and make some hiding spots for your tort:)

Quixx66

Louisiana
Looks good. I don’t think the rocks are a bad thing. If it were my enclosure I’d add more substrate to level it with the water dish then I don’t think you’d have a worry for flipping. :)
Thank you. I’ll order more substrate now then.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
careful you dont put in any plants that have been sprayed with chemicals. usually you have to repot the plants and wait 6-12 months, because I can tell you that your tort will definitely try to eat them

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
also how is the temp near the hide? if i am reading the hygrometer correctly, i dont think your temps are high enough for even the basking spot

nicoleann2214

NY
Great idea. I’ll look into some little pots at Home Depot or should I plant in the substrate? Thanks.
You could use fake plants too, I’d keep them in pots but yes make sure they don’t have anything toxic in the soil. :)

Quixx66

Louisiana
careful you dont put in any plants that have been sprayed with chemicals. usually you have to repot the plants and wait 6-12 months, because I can tell you that your tort will definitely try to eat them
I’ll try organic plants. Saw some on Etsy. Thanks.

Quixx66

Louisiana
also how is the temp near the hide? if i am reading the hygrometer correctly, i dont think your temps are high enough for even the basking spot
Temps are up now. I had just put the enclosure back together and the lights back on.

As for the hide, I don’t know. I guess I need a thermometer and probe for that? Hmm, I think I have a new digital aquarium thermometer still in the box. Will that work?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Temps are up now. I had just put the enclosure back together and the lights back on.

As for the hide, I don’t know. I guess I need a thermometer and probe for that?

whew good! i would get a second just to be safe and make sure all sides of the enclosure are OK

nicoleann2214

NY

As for the hide, I don’t know. I guess I need a thermometer and probe for that? Hmm, I think I have a new digital aquarium thermometer still in the box. Will that work?
You could get a temp gun. They work good.