Opinions on isopods in a tortoise enclosure?

babyhermanns

Location (City and/or State)
florida
hello, i’ve been considering adding some isopods into my tortoises enclosure to aid with the mold. is it worth it? i’m willing to grow colonies to replace them if they get eaten by spiders etc. a friend had recommended them to me and i wanted to double check here to make sure.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Many members have springtails and roly polies in their substrate to clean up poop and leftover food bits. I don't know if they help with mold though.

Is it food bits that's molding? Or the substrate? What substrate are you using?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I have pill bugs in both my enclosures and they clean things pretty well. Not sure on that mold thing though

MNGuy

Minneapolis, MN
I keep my snakes in a bioactive tank. I don’t have a tortoise.

My understanding is that springtails are the ones who really keep mold down and isopods are more for food waste and feces management.

Good luck.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I added worms and pillbugs to my enclosures, and have been impressed with how well they work at keeping the substrate clean.

When I check in on them (look under the water bowls) there are gazillions of them in all four enclosures... more in the forest than the desert enclosures, but that makes sense (to me).

I think they would keep mold under control, assuming that the mold is coming from excess food or poop in a moist environment... the pillbugs get rid of both really quickly.

I would highly recommend adding some to your enclosure.

Jamie