Opinions, constructive criticism please!!

Kawright96

Location (City and/or State)
Indianapolis
Hello all! I am working on a blueprint of my Russian tortoise's new inside enclosure. I have drawn out a general idea of what I want, with dimensions. For the more experienced people on this forum, I am curious about several things, one being; will the ramp be too steep for my handsome man to climb to the second floor? If you could improve this enclosure, how would you? The plexiglass will be on the front of the enclosure, and I am going to frost the plexiglass so he can get extra light but can't see out of the plexiglass. I plan on adding side rails to the ramp so he can't fall off, and adding side rails around the opening to the second floor so he can only get on/off the second floor through the appropriate side of the ramp, as well as a humid hide box and appropriate hideaways ?. I am adding the picture of my blueprint sketch. Thanks in advance!

20210322_004135.jpg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi! As your blueprint is drawn, alllowing for 4 inches of space from the sides of the enclosure to the ramp entrance and ramp foot...your ramp will be just a bit over 45.5 in long. That makes the ramp more than twice as long as the drop in height. I don't know the per cent grade that is (I think it's almost 50%) but with cross bars on the ramp for footing, it will be steep but doable.

As long as I didn't mess up my geometry, that is. ?✏?

Kawright96

Indianapolis
Hi! As your blueprint is drawn, alllowing for 4 inches of space from the sides of the enclosure to the ramp entrance and ramp foot...your ramp will be just a bit over 45.5 in long. That makes the ramp more than twice as long as the drop in height. I don't know the per cent grade that is (I think it's almost 50%) but with cross bars on the ramp for footing, it will be steep but doable.

As long as I didn't mess up my geometry, that is. ?✏?
What you suggest that I do? Should I put the 2 floors closer together so the ramp is not so steep? He is a full grown Russian, he's little over 8inches. And thank you so much for your help!

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
What you suggest that I do? Should I put the 2 floors closer together so the ramp is not so steep? He is a full grown Russian, he's little over 8inches. And thank you so much for your help!
I built a second level for my Russian’s closed chamber. I wanted one that wasn’t attached so I could remove it for cleaning if necessary. It can be much simpler/easier than what you designed....

First off, it’s a beautiful and thoughtful drawing/plan, but you don’t need that much height for a Russian. Heating and humidity will be harder to maintain. Secondly, your ramp design is too steep. For every foot of height of your second level, you need at least two feet of ramp. You can’t fit a ramp long enough in that length of enclosure you are planning...

I used PVC board from Home Depot to create a freestanding platform that is as wide as the enclosure (so it would not move around). I glued PVC piping caps to the underside at the corners and cut PVC pipe to form the “legs” of the platform. I attached a ramp with piano hinge that butts up to the back wall, so I only needed a guard rail on one side of the ramp. I screwed plexiglass to the edge of the the ramp and platform sides for a guard rail. I cut a “carpet” of coco fiber liner (the kind used for lining garden planters) the size and shape of the platform and attached ramp (for traction). I used small screws to attach it at the bottom of the ramp so it wouldn't curl up. Finally, I put a layer of substrate on top of the coco carpet on the platform to make for easy spot cleaning.

I have to say that my tortoise uses his ramp several times a day, as the platform is where his food dish is. He trucks right up it with no hesitation and it offers opportunities for exercise. It’s clear you are putting a lot thought and planning into your enclosure—kudos to you! Good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think you need to frost the plexi.

If the front panels are doors that open, you will want some sort of "litter dam". Something to keep the substrate and tortoise in while the door is open. In my closed chambers, I have Animal Plastics build in a 6 inch litter dam. I can slide the doors open and change the food and water bowls with no danger of the tortoises falling out.

Kawright96

Indianapolis
I don't think you need to frost the plexi.

If the front panels are doors that open, you will want some sort of "litter dam". Something to keep the substrate and tortoise in while the door is open. In my closed chambers, I have Animal Plastics build in a 6 inch litter dam. I can slide the doors open and change the food and water bowls with no danger of the tortoises falling out.
I am working on modifying the enclosure blueprint, so it will be more ideal for Oscar and myself ? thank you all for your helpful information, I can't wait to update you all with a finished blueprint/product!

MarginatedMooney

Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina USA
I had a similar blueprint that I drew for my little Phil's future indoor enclosure but it's definitely not as pretty looking as yours! It had two levels that were each 6' x 3' and a ramp about 5 1/2' long. The biggest difference besides the dimensions is I didn't have a gap between the two levels. Phil is only 1 6/8" currently, so I have some time, but I'm starting to think about what I want his future indoor and outdoor enclosures to look like.