Opinion on kinixys species

Medinukas

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kaunas, Lithuania
Hello,

I have 10 kinixys imported one year ago. I need to know your opinion on each species. If you need more photos, just say. Theare are photos from different sides:

Number 1:
1_1.jpg 1_2.jpg 1_3.jpg 1_4.jpg 1_5.jpg

Number 2 (This one is Mr. aaggressor):
2_1.jpg 2_2.jpg 2_3.jpg 2_4.jpg

Number 3:
3_1.jpg 3_2.jpg 3_3.jpg 3_4.jpg

Number 4:
4_1.jpg 4_2.jpg 4_3.jpg 4_4.jpg

Number 5 (this one is the most interesting):
5_1.jpg 5_2.jpg 5_3.jpg 5_4.jpg

Number 6:
6_1.jpg 6_2.jpg 6_3.jpg 6_4.jpg

Number 7:
7_1.jpg 7_2.jpg 7_3.jpg 7_4.jpg

Attachments

• 3_2.jpg
    3_2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 33

Medinukas

5 Year Member
Kaunas, Lithuania
@tortadise, thank you very much for your answer. Yes, I know country of origin and I have papers with species. I just want to know opinion without it, beacause sometimes you buy one, but get other with kinixys :) I will let you know later.

Which ones is spekes on your opinion?

What do you think about #5 one? Look at his beak, please. Doesn't it seem like natalensis?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
@tortadise, thank you very much for your answer. Yes, I know country of origin and I have papers with species. I just want to know opinion without it, beacause sometimes you buy one, but get other with kinixys :) I will let you know later.

Which ones is spekes on your opinion?

What do you think about #5 one? Look at his beak, please. Doesn't it seem like natalensis?
natalensis would be almost an adult at that size and quite easily definable. Easiest way to see if it's natalanensis is to look at the beak. They have a tricuspid beak unlike any other species of Kinixys. Some other species will sometimes show a worm beak that can be mistakingly identified. I have even done it myself in hopes of acquiring that species again. But Natalensis come from a rather small unique territory that's rather regulated. Usually they are smuggled across from SA to Mozambique and then exported. Anyways. Most look spekii with a for sure belliana in the mix.

Natalensis for sure are identified with drastic colors and the beak. It is always possibility and very likely if the collection site was in an overlapped area to be hybrid animals and or unique ecosystem locality of species of Kinixys. They can all vary greatly from region to region. A close up of the beak would for sure help.

Here's a Natalensis that would commonly be picked up for export or data purposes etc.

IMG_3653.JPG

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Not to discrsdit at all. From the photos provided you may have a few natals indeed. I need to get on my computer and look closer. The beak is a dead give away, along with head scales. May I ask which country of origin they came from. It would be quite rare to acquire Natalensis from Tanzania, and even Mozambique. Botswana and SA for sure.

Medinukas

5 Year Member
Kaunas, Lithuania
I know that sometimes it is possible to see more than it actually is. Especially when very want ;)

I could make more photos on this evening (it is morning now in my country :)). Maybe it would help. If you need to see special numbers, just say which ones.

These tortoises were imported as Spekes from Kenya. I know that it is not region of natalensis, but my country is not region of brown bear and there was one on the last week :) :) :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I know that sometimes it is possible to see more than it actually is. Especially when very want ;)

I could make more photos on this evening (it is morning now in my country :)). Maybe it would help. If you need to see special numbers, just say which ones.

These tortoises were imported as Spekes from Kenya. I know that it is not region of natalensis, but my country is not region of brown bear and there was one on the last week :) :) :)

For sure wouldn't be a Natalensis. They haven't even been documented into Mozambique. I've gotten incredibly excited. Because sometimes I have seen some in groups to help identify for importers here that were closely identified as such. For sure Kenya ok have speks, zombensis, and belliana.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hey Kelly, K. natalensis have been found in Mozambique. I don't recall off the top of my head where that was reported, but it's in my thesis bib.

In regards to the images offered by the OP, dude turn the light in the room on, there is so much shadow.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX