Open mouth breathing in Herman's female

Pinstar

Location (City and/or State)
Shoreham-by-Sea, West Sussex
Vivien (also my avatar)is an at least 50+? year old Herman's female cared for by my mum on the south coast of England.
She was adult when we got her as a stray 40+ years ago. She has laid yearly but eggs fertilised and babies hatched only 28 and 29 years ago.
For the past 20 years she has lived with Hitchhiker, a spur-thigh male who we've had for 40+years (another stray).(Unfortunately, we lost all the others, including all juveniles to a throat?fungal? Infection 20 years ago).
Vivien and Hitchhiker live in 2 greenhouses, have a good sized tortoise proof garden to forage in, and are hibernated in the garage through winter (approx. Nov-March).
For the past 1 week, Vivien has had what seem like signs of LRTD (see video).She is not travelling around so much, mainly hiding in bushes or under her cardboard box in the greenhouse, but still eating her favourite weeds if brought to her (it's so dry and not so much variety left in the garden).We supplement with lettuce, tomatoes, melon and strawberries (her favourites which she eats hungrily) , though I am concerned at the sugar content feeding any infection.
We have separated Hitchhiker as he was ramming and biting her,she seemed too tired to escape.
We are putting her in warm water daily, but she wants to get straight out.
We have left water in 2 accessible places (we only just started to do this).
Today, we started supplements with Nutrobal.
My mum is not able to get to the vet and not keen as the last time she went 20 years ago, the vet gave vitamin injections but all died or were put down.
Any advice welcome and much appreciated.

Pinstar

Shoreham-by-Sea, West Sussex
I have not been able to upload video MP4 so will send photos.Vivien also moves her front legs back and forth with mouth beathing.She gasps and wheezes for a few seconds after eating melon or strawberry pieces.IMG_20200806_165004756.jpgIMG_20200806_165002612.jpgIMG_20200806_165001043.jpgIMG_20200806_164910714.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since tortoises breathe through the nose, open mouth breathing usually means the nares are blocked.

Under a bright light look closely at he nostrils to see if there's something blocking.

It also sometimes means respiratory infection.