Oops He Did It Again

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
I want to hear more stories about Houdini from @Jan A, but Maggie, you have raised the bar on tortoise storytelling!
Thanks so much. I love writing those stories, I think I'm kind of a frustrated writer. Been thinking I should write my life story sot of. I sure have been places and done things the average person gets to do/see....

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Yes, Jan A is getting Houdini the Jerk. You know it's funny, he irritates the crap outa me and he makes life harder for me cuz I got to go up and down those stairs a hundred times a day to check on him. So I really knew that he would be better off someplace else but when I read the stories that I wrote about him and look about the pictures it's it's kind of it's really kind of sad I think I'm going to miss him.Sorta. Maybe.
When he came to me in early May he was a 5 year old, 13 oz female Redfoot, bought for $400. Now he is a 1 or 2 year old, 2 lb 14 oz male Redfoot. The guy who brought him to me had only had him for a couple of weeks when he came and left him with me. Left him. You say your parents paid $400? And you dump him without qualms about that. I am glad that the keeper realized that he would be better off with someone else. I feel good about Houdini going to Jan. I know she will totally pay attention to him. In reading her description where she refers to herself as fat...not for long Jan. He's gonna run you ragged for about 3 months. If anyone is interested I'm gonna make a thread about this adventure with him, as I don't want to hijack this thread...and I got more to say about...
I love your stories, Maggie. In reading some of your stories about Bob last night, i'm starting to think Bob came back, reincarnated as Houdini. Never stop with the stories. You are such a good story teller
Me3

Oti'smom

MILWAUKEE
Maggie,
Have you ever seen the spikes ya stick in the middle of the yard …
then you tie a string to it ….
then you tie your red foot
(in a harness ) to the string and let him freely walk all over the place.
As long as it’s within the length of the string!!!!!

?‍♀️
This little guys got guts!!!
To walk all the way down the street?
Where’s he goin’?
Shoprite?
Tell him to bring back ice cream.?
That little booger pants! ?‍♀️
My Oti does this every chance she gets when we take her outside!! I threaten to tie a red balloon to her!! But I like the idea of a harness & string to a stake! She cannot be left outside unattended!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I know Lyns is a fan of yours and Mary Knobbins!

Bubblesmom

Winnfield, La. 71483
Frankly...I am hoping his new keeper has been paying attention to my stories. And yeah, I hope I make them funny, but I didn't make up any of that stuff either, you know I just kind of embellished on it and added the damn pictures, but this little this little red foot has more personality than any ten tortoises I ever ran into before. I am I can't believe I like this guy so much. He's a much more horrible tortoise than Mary Knobbins was...he has absolutely got to be kept in a real escape proof pen. And checked on a lot.
It took me a while to figure him out, but I'm thinkin I have now. Y said she thought that he was trying to escape to go back to his house that he was familiar with, but I don't think that's the case anymore. I think that he is just a busy little tort and just likes the contest of climbing on things and then he accidentally sort of gets out and goes on you know goes to town to see the elephant.(line from a movie) Sulcata are fairly active, but that's only for a few minutes then Mary naps in the sun. This little tortoise is busy every time you look at him. He's never sleeping in a corner he's never just sitting there he is always moving always climbing on things or trying to get out. He tried to get out of a pen that was surrounded by a 4-foot fence...really? Just relax! I sometimes just sit on the steps 5 or 6 feet away from him and watch him. Most tortoises stop whatever they are doing when they see you. but not this little red foot and so the other day I was sitting there on the stairs watching him and and just kind of laughing at him and you know what, he eats fruit or egg that I served to him on a Frisbee and so pretty soon flies are walking on it and he snaps at them. Cracks me up. Mary never notices stuff like that...
I rarely take a nap, but today I just felt kinda icky...and you see what happens when I'm not checking on them so often...they all party...
?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
My Oti does this every chance she gets when we take her outside!! I threaten to tie a red balloon to her!! But I like the idea of a harness & string to a stake! She cannot be left outside unattended!

A red balloon ? will only help her float away.! ?
It’s the harness and the string OR…?
Lead booties?? ?

Mine (a sulcata) gets away from me every chance she gets and at 100 lbs….
I just let her go…go…GOOOOO!!!!
I yell to her…
“Good luck getting fed by hand, your warm soaks every day, o .. and don’t forget all the love , petting, and nitey-nite songs!!
Ya B*tch! ?”
And I tell ya….. she turns right around EVERY TIME!!!
Who ever said tortoises are deaf dumb or stupid is the one who is dumb!??

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thanks so much. I love writing those stories, I think I'm kind of a frustrated writer. Been thinking I should write my life story sot of. I sure have been places and done things the average person gets to do/see....
You could write some cute adult children's books too about your torts ? the adults would love them as much as the kids.

willee638

HK
So I'm just waking up from a nap on the couch, it's 5:30 in the afternoon and there's a knock on my door. I go answer the door and my next door neighbor is there holding this little Red Foot Tortoise and she says,"does this belong to you he came walking up my driveway", now in order for him to go walking up the driveway he escaped from my yard and walked up the damn street. I'm lucky he didn't get run over and it's chilly here today so holy cats, I think I had a heart attack...
View attachment 331191

willee638

HK
That is funny but also scary when thinking about it, yes many serious accidents can happen when cars and another large animals are around. I have a little red foot tortoise of only a few months old, but he already started to climb onto & over low barriers.

willee638

HK
My red foot tortoises would some times accidentally flip onto their backs & they usual couldn't get themselves right side up again when I discovered what happened, normally there isn't a life threatening danger as the lamps temperatures isn't high in their enclosures as would be under natural sunlight.

Angiegirl68

venice
So I'm just waking up from a nap on the couch, it's 5:30 in the afternoon and there's a knock on my door. I go answer the door and my next door neighbor is there holding this little Red Foot Tortoise and she says,"does this belong to you he came walking up my driveway", now in order for him to go walking up the driveway he escaped from my yard and walked up the damn street. I'm lucky he didn't get run over and it's chilly here today so holy cats, I think I had a heart attack...
View attachment 331191
Mine also did the same thing.
Couldn't find her for 2 days. Was laying in bed on the 3rd morning so depressed and this strong thought came to me to go look out in the front in the street.
BAMM... There she was just taking a nice stroll down the road into my driveway.. It was such a miracle ? I was so over joyed she was back and not hit by a car...

Angiegirl68

venice
I have a Red Elmo that I put on my Myrtles back. It's tied around her with a pipe cleaner.
Nice and soft for her .
It's hysterical..I'll be outside doing yard work and there's Elmo walking around threw the grass.