Only one step away from 2 Aldabra tortoise babies ....

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
babies ? Only with the exception that the aldabras are allowed to eat occasionally fruits ?

~ We are referring to hatchlings, not the size you are talking about. Imports are not hatchlings, they are already started and have grown for several months. We do not offer any fruit for the first year.

38818113_660455844315872_2657830611506429952_n.jpg

Bee62

Germany
~ We are referring to hatchlings, not the size you are talking about. Imports are not hatchlings, they are already started and have grown for several months. We do not offer any fruit for the first year.

View attachment 249962
I would like to get hatchlings but it is impossible in Germany. I hope that the young ones that I will get had been well started.

Bee62

Germany
~ Not for the first year, many other better food options. We always have fresh hay available for our adults.

That is what I have done with my sulcatas too. They are now 2 years old, smooth grown and healthy. I try to introduce them now slowly in hay, but I feed weeds and gras and dark green leafy lettuce every day.
That is the way how I will feed the aldabras too.

Sesel

Seychelles
I asked the German seller once again how old the babies are and he answers that they could be 5 - 10 months old.
When he gets them they are 9- 11 cm long ( 3.5 - 4,3 inches ).
Does the length fits to an age of 5 - 10 months ?
Could be.

~ Importers have no idea the exact hatch day, much less the exact age. They simply get them and sell them.
My guess too.

4" is about five months at our program.
We have also observed similar results.
However, our results tend to apply to the first few clutches. Latter clutches took up to 7 months to get to 4".
@ALDABRAMAN have you ever in the past kept a large group of babies for up to a year? Did growth rates differ?

My guess is that commercial breeders feed them more and food that makes them grow faster, allowing them to comply with importation laws, etc.

I would like to put forth another scenario.
As the commercial breeders get a lot of babies, the care and attention given to each individual decreases. This in turn affects the growth rates of the babies, taking them longer to reach certain sizes.

As I am aware, only the US has the 4" importation law. Anybody know of any other place with a similar law?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
However, our results tend to apply to the first few clutches. Latter clutches took up to 7 months to get to 4". // @ALDABRAMAN have you ever in the past kept a large group of babies for up to a year? Did growth rates differ

~ Yes, we use to keep several back and grow them to different ages. They all were within small margins of consistent growth and development, especially within the first year. We did notice a small difference on our hold back three and four year olds. The males got heavier and slightly larger after the third year. Male and female personalities were well developed and very distinctive after the first year also. We basically stopped all hold backs due to our higher production levels, markets shifts and the overall economy. Never really noticed any differences between clutches, etc. We follow very consistent protocols with all of our hatchlings, especially regarding food sources during the first year of growth and development, this may be a contributing factor as to why we are more consistent with steady overall growth than in your part of the world.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I would like to put forth another scenario. As the commercial breeders get a lot of babies, the care and attention given to each individual decreases. This in turn affects the growth rates of the babies, taking them longer to reach certain sizes.

~ After countless conversations and much research we think that the majority of the hatchlings imported into the USA are from three sources. Most of these sources are of a commercial nature, sheer volume is the objective. Most "perfect" hatchlings are sold to sources that are very particular about being "perfect" and pay more for them. Most of these sources probably do not have laws restricting importation less then 4". What is not sold to these sources and are left are probably ones with "issues" or labelled "less than perfect" and remain at the farm because they are rejected or simply do not meet the high "flawless" standards of the buyers. The ones left are then fed high volumes of food, etc. in order to induce fast growth so they can be sold to sources that will be receptive to purchasing them, either because they are cheaper in price or not governed by the 4" importation laws. This is probably why we see so many "less than perfect" being offered in the USA by current sources. In essence, i suspect it is just the opposite of your theory, they are overfed in order to make them bigger faster. Unfortunately. this can have consequences to the early stages of overall growth and development.

Bee62

Germany
Oh my ! I have to make my decision this weekend. The seller told me that he holds back for me 2 torts until Monday evening. I have to pay the price for them until then.

NC
Oh my ! I have to make my decision this weekend. The seller told me that he holds back for me 2 torts until Monday evening. I have to pay the price for them until then.

You only live once. I just got my two babies last June. You have to seize an opportunity when it presents itself. Good luck.

Bee62

Germany
I have made the decision: Today I`ve paid the price for my "babies" to the seller and I hope that the tortoises will be delivered ( by car, overnight ) on Thursday.
I will keep you updated.
Thank`s to all that take part here on this thread. I appreciate your opinion very much.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I have made the decision: Today I`ve paid the price for my "babies" to the seller and I hope that the tortoises will be delivered ( by car, overnight ) on Thursday.
I will keep you updated.
Thank`s to all that take part here on this thread. I appreciate your opinion very much.

Congratulations!!! I can’t wait to see your updates!!! Have you names picked out yet?

Bee62

Germany
Congratulations!!! I can’t wait to see your updates!!! Have you names picked out yet?
Thank you ! :)
No, no names until now. I was too busy to decide to buy them or not because it was a lot money....
I think I have to see them and hold them in my hands before I can decide how to name them. Wow.... it is like getting a real baby ....
Yes, I am crazy and I know it:D

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Thank you ! :)
No, no names until now. I was too busy to decide to buy them or not because it was a lot money....
I think I have to see them and hold them in my hands before I can decide how to name them. Wow.... it is like getting a real baby ....
Yes, I am crazy and I know it:D

I don’t think your crazy! I am the same way! That’s the trait of a person who truly cares :)