Only one step away from 2 Aldabra tortoise babies ....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I imagine that a determined adult Aldabra could push a house out of the way to get to the other yard.
The only time mine got destructive is if there were people on the other side of the fence. I had to encourage people to get away from the fence.

So breaks the fence b.jpg So breaks the fence c.jpg

But he only did that if there were people on the other side. He was a food glutton!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
The only time mine got destructive is if there were people on the other side of the fence. I had to encourage people to get away from the fence. // But he only did that if there were people on the other side. He was a food glutton!

~ They are extremely strong and can be amazingly determined.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
"tapping" method. It seems to work like a charm.

~ This works on some and not others, there are other methods more effective and less stressful for the tortoises. Several of ours, both male and female can be extremely stubborn and the tapping method is pointless.

12919843_221105888250872_5136549078204136137_n.jpg 12974280_221105928250868_6813166729786957767_n.jpg 12985385_221105954917532_2124042408607485115_n.jpg

Last edited:

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
One of mine would move if I tapped on him, but the other wouldn't.

~ If you choose to use the tapping, basically it is an irritation and they move to avoid the discomfort, we found it beneficial to use a plastic handle with a good solid rubber tip. If they are not easily irritated with a gentle (light & easy) tap, it is best to find and use another method of getting them to move. We rarely use the stick these days and have found that it upsets them way too much.

IMG_7852.JPG

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
seems to be effective.

~ When someone gets to this level, working with many and extremely large tortoises, management is vital and critical for efficiency. The keepers will know each tortoise and use the best and easiest method to move them if needed. Simply using a colorful and tasting snack or food can be the easiest and least stressful method when working with giants.

ben awes

5 Year Member
Kenan Harkin swears by the "tapping" method. It seems to work like a charm. I know many aren't fond of his videos, but you have to admire the patience it takes to move his HUGE Galapagos and Aldabra tortoises.

Is there a link to see Kenan Harkin's tapping method. He's got a million videos on youtube, but I can't find any that show tapping. Thanks in advance!
Ben

Bee62

Germany
The only time mine got destructive is if there were people on the other side of the fence. I had to encourage people to get away from the fence.

View attachment 249798 View attachment 249799

But he only did that if there were people on the other side. He was a food glutton!
Always waiting for a nice treat and curious too. That`s how they look like on your pics.
How should they know how strong they are ? In the wild there are no fences.

Bee62

Germany

Bee62

Germany
I asked the German seller once again how old the babies are and he answers that they could be 5 - 10 months old. He knows not so exactly. The breeder from the Seychelles tells him not the hatching day.
When he gets them they are 9- 11 cm long ( 3.5 - 4,3 inches ).
Does the length fits to an age of 5 - 10 months ?
@Sesel @ALDABRAMAN

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I asked the German seller once again how old the babies are and he answers that they could be 5 - 10 months old. He knows not so exactly. The breeder from the Seychelles tells him not the hatching day.
When he gets them they are 9- 11 cm long ( 3.5 - 4,3 inches ).
Does the length fits to an age of 5 - 10 months ?
@Sesel @ALDABRAMAN

~ Importers have no idea the exact hatch day, much less the exact age. They simply get them and sell them. Unless you get one from an actual breeder that actually knows the exact days, etc. At best they simply guess based on common known growth rates, etc. You would think that most importers might possible know what month they were hatched in. My guess is that most commercially based breeders simply don't care about that information and are more focused on successful volumes they can sell for earnings. 4" is about five months at our program. My guess is that commercial breeders feed them more and food that makes them grow faster, allowing them to comply with importation laws, etc.

Bee62

Germany
~ Importers have no idea the exact hatch day, much less the exact age. They simply get them and sell them. Unless you get one from an actual breeder that actually knows the exact days, etc. At best they simply guess based on common known growth rates, etc. You would think that most importers might possible know what month they were hatched in. My guess is that most commercially based breeders simply don't care about that information and are more focused on successful volumes they can sell for earnings. 4" is about five months at our program. My guess is that commercial breeders feed them more and food that makes them grow faster, allowing them to comply with importation laws, etc.
Thank you for your answer.
May I ask what do you feed your aldabra babies ?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I asked the German seller // He knows not so exactly. The breeder from the Seychelles tells him not the hatching day.

~ It is this simple, you will probably not get straight factual direct answers from the breeder, the seller only provides what he is told and who really knows. This is a business and the only real dominating factor is profits. The truth and best thing for you to do is go in person and inspect any tortoise prior to purchase. If you do not, you simply get what they send you.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Last edited: