Only one step away from 2 Aldabra tortoise babies ....

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Hello friends.
I am very excited. I`ve been searching for young Aldabra tortoises for a year in the past and now I found a seller in Germany who imports them from the Seychelles.
He gets a group of 4 month old babies this week. I am in contact with him. He will send me pictures of the babies as soon as he gets them.
I only have to pay and my dream will come true....
My heart is saying: Yes ! Do it ! Fulfill your dream.
Some little devil in me says: You are crazy ! Don`t do it....
What would you say ?
I am pretty sure I will follow what my my heart says, but I would love to hear your opinions.
What would you do ?
Thank you so much.

Sabine

Sesel

Seychelles
Hi Bee62.
Hope all goes well in your pursuit.
Just want to point out the below.

...Aldabra tortoises... a seller in Germany who imports them from the Seychelles.
He gets a group of 4 month old babies this week.

The usual egg laying time here starts around April. Our first 2 clutches this season were at the end of March & mid-April. Both clutches started hatching mid-July.

So unless the clutches were laid early in 2018, it is unlikely that the babies are 4 months old. I'm not saying the seller is lying. There could be some false information (either due to manipulation or ignorance) of the babies' ages (or their origin) along the way either from breeder/seller.
If you don't care about any of the above, please ignore this post :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you have the room and the money to support what they will need, large heated housing, winter food, etc, go for it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I thought I was ready for it too, Sabine, until they got to be over 200lbs and sometimes wouldn't go into their heated shed in the evenings to be locked up for the night. Maybe if you start young, training them to move away from tapping on their shell, you can train them to be guided back into their house for the night.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Awww!!! I’m proud for you whatever you decide. I don’t see you making that decision lightly... did the breeder share pics?? I want to see!!! Lol

ShirleyTX

Canyon Lake TX USA
My dream would be an Aldabra! But at this stage of my life, I’ll stick with my little Egyptian.

I will live my dream by following you and your new tortoises! Let us know what you decide and lots of pictures please.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
I thought I was ready for it too, Sabine, until they got to be over 200lbs and sometimes wouldn't go into their heated shed in the evenings to be locked up for the night. Maybe if you start young, training them to move away from tapping on their shell, you can train them to be guided back into their house for the night.

Kenan Harkin swears by the "tapping" method. It seems to work like a charm. I know many aren't fond of his videos, but you have to admire the patience it takes to move his HUGE Galapagos and Aldabra tortoises.

Jemo

10 Year Member!
Germany
One of mine would move if I tapped on him, but the other wouldn't.

In our environment ours always have to go inside thouse every night. In hot summernights they sometimes want to stay outside.
We trained them over years by tapping smooth, sometimes hard, sometimes very hard, until they learn to go inside.
Sometimese in the middle of the nigt we have to wake them up when we had been outside, it is all dark around. They wake up, look at us angryly, we tapp them- and they walk home in the light of a torch!
If one of our very big adults (1,4) dont want, we tapp as Long as he wants!!

Bee62

Germany
Hi Bee62.
Hope all goes well in your pursuit.
Just want to point out the below.

The usual egg laying time here starts around April. Our first 2 clutches this season were at the end of March & mid-April. Both clutches started hatching mid-July.

So unless the clutches were laid early in 2018, it is unlikely that the babies are 4 months old. I'm not saying the seller is lying. There could be some false information (either due to manipulation or ignorance) of the babies' ages (or their origin) along the way either from breeder/seller.
If you don't care about any of the above, please ignore this post :D
Hi Sesel, thank you for your information that the age of the babies can`t be right. I just e-mailed the seller and asked once again how old the tortoises are. When I have his answer I will post again.
I would never ignore your post and your worries.:)

Bee62

Germany
If you have the room and the money to support what they will need, large heated housing, winter food, etc, go for it.
Thank you for your answer.
Yes, I think I have all what these big tortoises will need.:)

Bee62

Germany
I will try the tapping method with them too. With the babies I have some years to train them.:)

Bee62

Germany
Awww!!! I’m proud for you whatever you decide. I don’t see you making that decision lightly... did the breeder share pics?? I want to see!!! Lol
You are right. The decision to get these tortoises wasn`t made quickly.
I have no pics now, but when I get them I will like to share them.:)

Bee62

Germany
My dream would be an Aldabra! But at this stage of my life, I’ll stick with my little Egyptian.

I will live my dream by following you and your new tortoises! Let us know what you decide and lots of pictures please.
Thank you for your kind words. It will please me to share pictures and stories about the tortoises with you, to share our dream together.
I hope I get the tortoises next week.

Bee62

Germany
Kenan Harkin swears by the "tapping" method. It seems to work like a charm. I know many aren't fond of his videos, but you have to admire the patience it takes to move his HUGE Galapagos and Aldabra tortoises.
I saw the video how he gets his big Aldabra tortoise in the shelter. It looks easy when the tort is cooperating.;)