One way to keep your baby alive -discussion thread

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
I posted something similar to this on groups of Facebook. If you think people on here argue, check out those groups. The question asked most often there is 'can i keep this species with this species?' D:

M

Maggie Cummings

I posted something similar to this on groups of Facebook. If you think people on here argue, check out those groups. The question asked most often there is 'can i keep this species with this species?' D:

I personally don't think we argue. We may have difference's of opinion, we each have our own way of doing the same thing. I believe we are respectful (except for me at times) and informative. But I know us old timers are here for one reason, to help keep tortoises alive, and I like to show off Bob...:p:)

Princessjay

Oki I got 2 conflicting opinions there.... Is it ok with an enclosure or not at all?

When she wanders around it is always in an enclosure and she has a few things to climb over. The enclosure is 5 foot, and given she is the size of a 50p it is more than big enough. She just doesn't seem to.be very active in it....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Where is the argument? The answer is always no. :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
@Princessjay , If your tortoise is in an enclosure, it's not in the open, it is in a secure tortoise enclosure, just bigger. If I am understanding you correctly.

stinax182

5 Year Member
My bad, argue is the word i would use for Facebook..... We do not argue here and i love that. We debate! Right now I'm being cussed at for telling someone the cons of buying from a pet store.... It's sad.

Princessjay

@Princessjay , If your tortoise is in an enclosure, it's not in the open, it is in a secure tortoise enclosure, just bigger. If I am understanding you correctly.

Oki let me re phrase..... She has a fully set up enclosure, but every now and then I let her wander around a warm room in a cordoned off area on a clean floor fully supervised with her climbing bits and hide on the floor. She is more active outside her enclosure than in. She is never Alone and I'm always watching her (I love watching her; it's just really cute to see her waddle).

Princessjay

Ps I don't think people argue here, but if u ask a question side people make you feel stupid and bully across the opinion. A lot of us are learning and its better to ask and be told (nicely) that maybe it isn't advisable.

The so called old timers should be happy that there are ppl who want the best for their tortoises and asking the questions in the right place rather than just making mistakes.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
All I can say is I wouldn't do it, you have to weigh the risk of your tortoise getting hurt due to an accident. Feel free to ask more questions, if you want to.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oki let me re phrase..... She has a fully set up enclosure, but every now and then I let her wander around a warm room in a cordoned off area on a clean floor fully supervised with her climbing bits and hide on the floor. She is more active outside her enclosure than in. She is never Alone and I'm always watching her (I love watching her; it's just really cute to see her waddle).

What does "cordoned off" mean to you? Is it some sore of enclosure where people don't tread? If people walk there, or there are doors or electrical cords there, or you didn't sweep and vacuum there, etc..., its not safe. Also, do you have a temp gun. What is the temperature of the floor there?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Right now I'm being cussed at for telling someone the cons of buying from a pet store.... It's sad.

That's what you get for trying to help someone NOT kill their animal because of bad advice...

Human nature will never cease to amaze me.

Princessjay

Oki no worries shall avoid doing it. Cordoned off means noone walks there and given I live in an apartment with just my hubby I can guarantee it.

But no I dnt have a temp gun. Only reason I ask is because I was told a tort needs to be kept warm somy mistake in assuming a warm room would be ok.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oki no worries shall avoid doing it. Cordoned off means noone walks there and given I live in an apartment with just my hubby I can guarantee it.

But no I dnt have a temp gun. Only reason I ask is because I was told a tort needs to be kept warm somy mistake in assuming a warm room would be ok.

The word "warm" is so subjective. What is warm to someone from North Dakota in the winter is not warm to someone from Hawaii. Your floor might be warm enough. Most are not, but only a thermometer of some sort will answer that.

Princessjay

Warm being per the guidance found on here. So never below 22-25 degrees. My apartment has amazing capability of staying warm. Her enclosureis 32 degrees at the hot point, 25 at the lowest.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Sounds good to me ....if the situation warrants this for exercise (due to bad weather outside or the like) then go for it --supervised and all.....I also would offer up a warm up station/spot within the secure exercise zone for the tort so that the tort can have ability to warm/juice up to keep on running about....

Alaskamike

South Florida
I know I'm a bit of an eccentric, but I allow my torts to roam a large lanai about every other day. It is 2k sq' with a pool. Lots of potted plants, lawn furniture, my sandels, etc. even though my youn 'uns have reasonably large outside enclosures ( 10'x10' ).

There are 2 reasons for this. The purely selfish one is I enjoy seeing them eat and do their ' walkabouts'. It entertains me

The more practical reason is exersize. Especially with the 2 lb sulcata and 2 lb Aldabra. They really put on the miles some days :). I do not leave them unsupervised , sweep it often, and keep my cat & dog in when I do this. And yes, I had a young leopard walk right into the pool - twice ! ( I called him Dunk after that).

A temp gun is a must for this where I live. I only do this on sunny days, and when my paving bricks are between 80-95f.

I believe this is good for them - makes them stronger. We all make choices. There is a caution against taking your tort out in an open yard to graze for instance , as many have turned away for just a moment and lost ' em, but some are very successful with this. There is a video on U tube somewhere of an elderly man who takes his 100lb+ sulcata on a daily mile walk around his neighborhood. No leash. The sully just follows him. Go figure.

I think the important thing is to really think about the advice and experiences of others and make an intelligent informed choice. No one is dictating here. There are no " bosses" of tort care. And you will find disagreement. That's okay
Good fortune with yours
Mike

stinax182

5 Year Member
Warm being per the guidance found on here. So never below 22-25 degrees. My apartment has amazing capability of staying warm. Her enclosureis 32 degrees at the hot point, 25 at the lowest.

The temp you really need to check is the floor because heat rises. A house thermostat doesn't temp the floor so whatever the temp is for you, it may still be cooler on the ground. My floor is always colder.... Too cold for my torts.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
My bad, argue is the word i would use for Facebook..... We do not argue here and i love that. We debate! Right now I'm being cussed at for telling someone the cons of buying from a pet store.... It's sad.
My guy being from a pet store, I tell people the cons and possibilities, but also tell them that they're not all that bad as long as you're willing to take the risks and spend more in the long run if something is wrong. Turned out Nank was completely healthy, and I know it was luck.
I did used to be one of those "why are pet stores so bad" people, but after personally seeing my cousin adopt a guy who developed an abscess in the first month and pass away at the "vet" I understood, and people on this forum helped, but I now gives cons and tell people if they still want to at least you knew, because I didn't, but at the same time with Nank's personality I'm glad it was him who came home with me :<3: