One of the babies died suddenly

cdumitru78

Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
My 5 torts from Chris have been doing great, but today one id dead. She was dead by the water container, and I am puzzled as to why? She was eating last night, although several nights ago she appeared lethargic and my wife found her once last week flipped over.

The only change in the enclosure is gnats, they've appeared out of nowhere.

Any advice would be appreciated it, I am a bit stressed about the other 4, although they appear to be doing great.

Happy thanksgiving everyone.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Flipping over near a heat source can quickly kill from overheating. But usually if the tortoise survives from that for a day, you're ok.
It might come down to just guessing what killed your baby. The signs of illness right up until it's too late to act are so subtle.

cdumitru78

Portland, OR
Yeah, I honestly have no idea and as you said, signs seem to be so subtle. She was a bit lethargic compared to the others 2 nights ago, but she ate. The rest of them eat really well today and are super active, they seem to be doing great, fingers crossed.

cdumitru78

Portland, OR
I did not even think about a necropsy, that is a good point. We buried it in the back yard but I can get to it. Assuming vets do that?

I have them in a 48x24 encloure, temps go down to 70 at night, high 80's during the day, with mid 90's for the basking area.

cdumitru78

Portland, OR
Thank you Chris, your help and assistance has been so invaluable, I've honestly been so impressed with your help and assistance and help throughout this process. Family is throughly enjoying the torts, their soaking and feeding is part of our daily routine as a family.