One of our sulcatas passed away

adriantan

Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
We have 2 sulcatas and we got them in August we found out they were sick and we tried our best to help them to recover. We have done an okay job but one of them died. I like tortoises and I want to have some that have been with me from the start but I feel like since today this is discouraging me and that I am just a bad owner. What should I do? We still have one though and currently I am focused on trying to get it better and help it get old. Please help.

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
We have 2 sulcatas and we got them in August we found out they were sick and we tried our best to help them to recover. We have done an okay job but one of them died. I like tortoises and I want to have some that have been with me from the start but I feel like since today this is discouraging me and that I am just a bad owner. What should I do? We still have one though and currently I am focused on trying to get it better and help it get old. Please help.
what have you been feeding it?
how hot is the enclosure? what's the humidity %?
can you post pictures of the enclosure?
what bulbs did you use?

adriantan

Philippines
We have everything right ever since looking at this forum but I have just been informed that the tortoises we got had a genetic disease that wasn’t caused by us. Turns out that they were unable to process nutrients properly in order to grow. So any calcium and other supplements we tried giving didn’t work because of this.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
We have everything right ever since looking at this forum but I have just been informed that the tortoises we got had a genetic disease that wasn’t caused by us. Turns out that they were unable to process nutrients properly in order to grow. So any calcium and other supplements we tried giving didn’t work because of this.
Genetic disease? What were the symptoms? Did they show any yellow bumps or spots?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is not correct. There is no such "genetic disease". They were either started wrong, which is usually the case, or they were cared for wrong.