One of my Horsefield Tortoises is active but very sleepy...

AbbeyLousie

Location (City and/or State)
Norwich
Hello! I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me on this issue I'm having,

I have two Horsefield Tortoises Terrance and Dory.
Terrance is consistently up everyday, eat's runs (slow runs) about and climbs and generally seems to be enjoying his little life, but dory will consistently go back to sleep every day and will not wake up unless prompted by me.
This has been worrying me because due to her sleeping all the time she wasn't eating/drinking as much as I feel comfortable with, and because of this I have tried different routines and this is the one which has had the best results:
Wake up 9am, give dory a 30 minute soak in warm water, serve dory pellets, weeds/vegetables (I like them to have an option), then whilst she is eating I give Terrance a 30 minute soak, then afterwards he will begin eating. This is giving me peace of mind because at least I know she is hydrated and has eaten at least something but I really worry and I want to make sure she is happy! It's strange because shes so active and runs to the bedroom area it isn't like shes lethargic, could it be that she's just lazy? for example by 10am today she was back in her bedroom sleeping. When in the bath she is very awake and also for the first 20 minutes once back on the table.

I thought I should mention the table is consistently 35 degrees centigrade, with the bedroom area being around 28. they have access to fresh water everyday and UV strip light near the basking area. Their substrate is as follows - Tortoise Live Mediterranean Blended Substrate on the first layer with a Beech Chip substrate on the top. I have the lights on for 12 hours daily.
I also wonder if there could be some issues with them being a male and female living together, when I adopted them nearly four years ago they were together and have been for their whole lives as far as I am aware.. they live in my bedroom which I am in a lot and I never hear fighting and they seem to get on really well, but of course I could be wrong.

I have attached an image of their tortoise table also, the heat lamp above the tunnel is inactive and the one above the pile of rocks is active, you can just spot the UV strip lamp behind the active heat lamp.

Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions!!

Attachments

• 109857179_339302337079017_5481806602564484687_n.jpg
    109857179_339302337079017_5481806602564484687_n.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 10

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings & Welcome to the TFO forum. Lots of great info here on the forum to read up on. Here is one of the care guides, take a read through.

➡️➡️ - https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

From a quick look at your info & pix, Id guess your one tort is bullying the other one. Couple that with your enclosure is just way too small for two adult Russian torts. So, one is dominating the other, and the submissive one has learned to hide & sleep to survive.

IMHO, You should try & figure out how you can get them separated.

Good luck.

AbbeyLousie

Norwich
Greetings & Welcome to the TFO forum. Lots of great info here on the forum to read up on. Here is one of the care guides, take a read through.

➡➡ - https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

From a quick look at your info & pix, Id guess your one tort is bullying the other one. Couple that with your enclosure is just way too small for two adult Russian torts. So, one is dominating the other, and the submissive one has learned to hide & sleep to survive.

IMHO, You should try & figure out how you can get them separated.

Good luck.
Thankyou for your quick reply, I will look into getting another tortoise table and equipment asap. Are there any signs that one is bullying the other I might be misreading? For example sometimes they will rest their heads on eachother and I've always assumed this was a sign they got on but could that also be a dominance thing?

Many Thanks!!

AbbeyLousie

Norwich
I have just read through some information on tortoises bullying each other and I agree this is the issue, I am looking into purchasing a separate tortoise table now to house them separately.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
What you describe - “For example sometimes they will rest their heads on each other“ - is pretty much classic signs of bullying.

I’ll bet once you separate you will see both acting “normally”.

Definitely two separate enclosures needed or........rehome one. Sad. But often a very good solution.

Reactions: Ink

AbbeyLousie

Norwich
What you describe - “For example sometimes they will rest their heads on each other“ - is pretty much classic signs of bullying.

I’ll bet once you separate you will see both acting “normally”.

Definitely two separate enclosures needed or........rehome one. Sad. But often a very good solution.
Yes I am thinking that might have to be an option, I will explore being able to keep them first, my heart hurts just thinking about having to choose one or the other because I love them both dearly! Thankyou so much for your help!

AbbeyLousie

Norwich
Just thought I'd leave a quick update, I am embarking on making my own two tier tortoise table! I will update with pictures when it is finished.