One of my 3 year old holdback SriLankans

Status
Not open for further replies.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
This is one of the very best SriLankans that I produced in 2005. I hope that he will be one of my new star breeders. I do think that selective breeding will be able to produce a larger number of high yellow stars. I personally feel that this just has not been done because of the fact that multi generational breeding has been done by so few people. In my experience this requires at least a 12 year process. Most people are unable to dedicate that much time to a tortoise project. Things happen, weddings, kids, job transfers, divorces, deaths of parents and on. I know lots of people that I consider good friends that wanted to pursue these projects long term, but were unable to for lots of reasons. Life happens when you are not looking. LOL Best wishes Douglas Beard / Flora & Fauna

Attachments

• Male holdback SriLankan #1b.JPG
    Male holdback SriLankan #1b.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 379

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
elegans said:
This is one of the very best SriLankans that I produced in 2005. I hope that he will be one of my new star breeders. I do think that selective breeding will be able to produce a larger number of high yellow stars. I personally feel that this just has not been done because of the fact that multi generational breeding has been done by so few people. In my experience this requires at least a 12 year process. Most people are unable to dedicate that much time to a tortoise project. Things happen, weddings, kids, job transfers, divorces, deaths of parents and on. I know lots of people that I consider good friends that wanted to pursue these projects long term, but were unable to for lots of reasons. Life happens when you are not looking. LOL Best wishes Douglas Beard / Flora & Fauna

where are you located? how many other stars do you have? how many generations were you able to breed for? i know some people that have stars that might want to help out.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Douglas, Great looking star. Good luck with your project just keep posting those wonderful pics.:D

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am in South Florida. I am producing F2's right now and am a few years away from producing F3's. It looks like it is going to be a good year for star production this year. Thanks for looking Douglas Beard

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Great looking Star Doug! You know, you can always send me the less than perfect ones ;)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hey Josh? Ummm can you fix the forum so that I have limited access to certain threads in here? You know the threads with pictures of awesome torts, like this one. I only have so much will power ya know! :rolleyes:

Fantastic tortoise you have there!

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Jacqui-- did you want this done... ? im not sure what you are asking for..

1zwduuo.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D :D No Spike, sorry. I was trying to be funny and tell Josh I needed him to not allow me to open certain threads. Threads like this one which make me start thinking about getting another type(s) or simply more torts. :D :D

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
oooOOOOooooOOo

yea i have that problem too. I so want another leopard and start to get into stars...

what do you have? you should put that in your signature.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I just wanted to thank you all for your kind words. This is a project that is near and dear to me. Douglas Beard

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
elegans said:
I am in South Florida. I am producing F2's right now and am a few years away from producing F3's. It looks like it is going to be a good year for star production this year. Thanks for looking Douglas Beard

Douglas you mentioned it the other evening when we talked.. tell everybody how long it took you to get your FIRST F2.. in case they don't know.

And about the differences between Indian and Sri Lankan.

Thanks...

nerd

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Come on don't make me tell everyone that it takes 11 to 14 years, they will all get depressed and not want to be my friends anymore! LOL. God I am getting old. How did this happen? No one notified me. Good thing the tortoises don't care! In tortoise years I am still young. LMAO

Barb92083

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
spikethebest said:
oooOOOOooooOOo

yea i have that problem too. I so want another leopard and start to get into stars...

what do you have? you should put that in your signature.

Hi Douglas
I have a 10 plus in female do you have any extra males?Thank-you Barb

AWAaviatrix

10 Year Member!
Los Lunas, New Mexico
elegans said:

Beautiful coloring!
What is his weight and length?

Thanks,
Misty
7 Star's
5 Sulcata's
1 Leopard

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I don't know Douglas, anything worth it's salt is worth waiting for. Never Depressing. And anyone that puts that type of time, effort and care into something they believe in is OK in my books. :)
Now will you tell us the differences between Indian and Sri Lankan? Please.:D

Jeremy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wow What a beautiful tort. I have 3 of my own, but nowhere near as much yellow.

Jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.