On the hunt

JoeWells

Location (City and/or State)
Morro Bay
Hey guys and gals. I’m brand new to the forum and I’m about to get my daughter a Russian tortoise. I’m wondering where is the absolute best place online to get our new friend? I know captive bread is the way to go but any specific vendors I should go through? Thanks

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
We have numerous breeders here that ship! Mine was @Carol S and my Russian is a a growing beast!

Attachments

• 1BD336FC-715D-4FF2-BB8C-0F7C1D1506BA.jpeg
    1BD336FC-715D-4FF2-BB8C-0F7C1D1506BA.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 7

JoeWells

Morro Bay
Wow! He/she is a beast!! Thanks for the info. I messaged her but it looks like three million people are looking for the same thing as me. How long did it take you once you ordered it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow! He/she is a beast!! Thanks for the info. I messaged her but it looks like three million people are looking for the same thing as me. How long did it take you once you ordered it?
I agree with active members of this forum. They know how to start them right.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey guys and gals. I’m brand new to the forum and I’m about to get my daughter a Russian tortoise. I’m wondering where is the absolute best place online to get our new friend? I know captive bread is the way to go but any specific vendors I should go through? Thanks
I would avoid online brokers, and buy directly from a breeder. I also bought from Carol S and give her an A+. @kanalomele is another A+ breeder/seller that I've personally bought from.

JoeWells

Morro Bay
That’s great to know. Thank you for the input. I’ll check into her. I appreciate your time

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Carol S was awesome! She puts the torts needs first and is very weather cautious when shipping. Mine ate right after a good post shipping soak! It took me a few weeks from talking to her and getting my tort, but that was due to weather and my work schedule not her!

JoeWells

Morro Bay
She did get back to me but she won’t have any tortoises until the spring. I’m waiting to hear back from kanalomele, hopefully she has some stock. Any other breeders you guys know about?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Check out Tortstork I think he has some. I highly recommend him.

JoeWells

Morro Bay
Great! Unfortunately, I’m somewhat technologically challenged. This is actually the first forum I’ve been in let alone joined. How would I go about getting in touch with Tortstork? I’m definitely behind the times. I would appreciate any help

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Great! Unfortunately, I’m somewhat technologically challenged. This is actually the first forum I’ve been in let alone joined. How would I go about getting in touch with Tortstork? I’m definitely behind the times. I would appreciate any help

Here’s how you get in touch with Mr Tort Stork - https://www.tortstork.com/

JoeWells

Morro Bay
Thank you so much for the help. This forum is by far the place to go about anything and everything I need to know about our new housemate. You’ve all been so informative. I truly appreciate it. I’ll give Tortstork a try

JoeWells

Morro Bay
Success!! I officially ordered a Russian tortoise hatchling! Tortstork was my man. I couldn’t have found the right one without all your help. Thank you all for everything, this is truly the place to be.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Success!! I officially ordered a Russian tortoise hatchling! Tortstork was my man. I couldn’t have found the right one without all your help. Thank you all for everything, this is truly the place to be.
Awesome! You won't be disappointed.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Good Luck! I am way too much of a scaredy pants to do Tortstork! But with him and TFO I see tons of success stories!

JoeWells

Morro Bay
Haha! I was gunna ask why you were scared until I read Todd’s reply. Yea, no eggs for me. Not for my first one at least. He was great. I ordered this morning and he shot me a delivery message within an hour to confirm shipping time. I’m super excited! I did however get a coil bulb for my UV previously until I read about the tort blindness it can cause. I have a new MVB coming tomorrow. I was wondering, will that produce enough heat by itself or do I need the additional heat bulb as well? Open topped habitat and bulb dome will be anywhere from 12’’ to 18’’ away from substrate

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Stick around for the life of your tortoise.
Before long you'll be giving advice yourself