Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA

JoeWells

Morro Bay
I was so worried at first. He/she would just burrow and not show itself at all. Besides the daily soaks I wouldn’t see it at all. It was lethargic and wouldn’t eat much. The last 5 or so days it’s been cruising around, eating lots and being way more active. It seems healthy and happy. I can finally breath. There were a few kinks I worked out with it’s habitat and I’m feeling pretty good about it now. I’m in this for the long haul. This is my first pet and I’m glad I made the decision to get a tortoise. I have that app that you can take pics of plants and it tells you what they are. I then cross reference with the tortoise table to see if it’s ok to feed. It’s actually pretty fun, like a hobby. I feel so much better having found this forum. I don’t think I’d have done things right without all of you and I appreciate you all

JoeWells

Morro Bay
Hello! Do you have your baby yet?

I'm surprised no one has commented on this. You will probably find it impossible to keep in enough heat and humidity in an open topped enclosure. You will need a closed chamber habitat.

Have you read these yet? Excellent reading if you haven't already.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
I ended up closing the top with a piece of clear plexi glass and cut a hole for the light to hang through. It keeps things much more habitable. I’m quite pleased with the temp and humidity now. I also got a CHE for the night which helps a lot. Every other day or so I take everything out and turn up the substrate and moisten it up. I can really tell the difference in its daily mannerisms