Not open for further replies.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
hatchlingalbino215.jpg

Chucky said:
Sorry to hear that EJ. Maybe next year will prove to be better. At least you have some pics.

That was like 8 years ago. I've got 2 Egyptians left... they are totally heart breakers. I lost the mom of those last year.

What could I have done different?... so much.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Photo Contest - Winter 2008 Sponsored by Reptile Eats

-EJ said:
That was like 8 years ago. I've got 2 Egyptians left... they are totally heart breakers. I lost the mom of those last year.

What could I have done different?... so much.

Hi Ed: To your knowledge, is there anyone here in the states who has good luck raising Egyptians?

Yvonne G.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia

I know quite a few...

The one thing they all have in common is that the Egyptian is the only tortoise they keep for the most part. Another common factor... that was the first tortoise they ever really kept.

The article that was in Reptiles focused on information obtained from these people.

On friend has been very successfully keeping them for close to 20 years and they are still going strong. Of the original group obtained in the late 80s to early 90s he has lost 2. That is mind boggling to me but, again, those are his babies he hit on a formula early on and has not changed a thing. My biggest mistake is trying to do too much with too delicate a species.

The above mentioned friend is also very successful with Stars.

There are a few zoos that are doing relatively well.

I don't feel bad about talking about it because I've been as successful as most. Of the hundreds that were around first imports... There are just over 100 original animals listed in the studbook.

Second generation animals seem to be doing way better.

The Europeans are doing as well but they are still getting new blood through confescations and the like.

S

stells

well egyptiandan isn't called that for no reason ;) lol

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas

stells said:
well egyptiandan isn't called that for no reason ;) lol

hehehehe

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!

I kept a group for roughly 4 years. I had 2.1 and several juveniles to hatchlings. I never lost one but after I parted with them I did hear that 2 perished. I had more luck with them than I did with my adult imported libyans but who knows maybe if I had held onto them they would have died here.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia

What I consider a successful keeper is one who can take a WC animal and not loose any or a very minimal amount for at least 10 years.

Then there are those that raise hatchlings to breeding size and then breed them without loosing any... that's success.

I know a few of those.

I think keeping them for close to 20 years gives me a little insight. I really don't feel bad because most of the keepers of this species dumped them before they all died on them.

The last one I lost I had almost 20 years... I should have saved her but this move to GA took a heavy toll on my collection.

Think about it... moving over 150 reptiles from SoCal to GA in a 2 month period... no time for planning... no time for setup...

Life comes at ya hard.

HermanniChris said:
I kept a group for roughly 4 years. I had 2.1 and several juveniles to hatchlings. I never lost one but after I parted with them I did hear that 2 perished. I had more luck with them than I did with my adult imported libyans but who knows maybe if I had held onto them they would have died here.

Status
Not open for further replies.