Olive Ridley (Lepidochelys Olivacea) Conservation Trip(Contains Graphic Images)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Three to four times a year I make it down to Costa Rica for pleasure and also donate most of my time while their to do grassroot conservation of sea turtles. This year I went a little late in the season and missed the Leatherbacks. However the many nights I was on patrol we did encounter Olive Ridley sea turtles. These guys are of the small species(not the smallest). Adult females get to 28-30" and 100 pounds. They lay quite a few eggs and clutches as well. From 40-120 eggs per clutch. They will lay 2-3 clutches sometimes 4 clutches(a tagged female laid her 4th clutch Wednesday night at 2:17 A.M consisting of 84 eggs). They are a very sweet and docile animal. Its sister species the kemp ridley does a little dance type action which is somewhat typical of the Olive Ridley too. They will not come ashore straight on, but rather in an angular fashion. They stick around the shoreline for a month sometimes a little longer. Every 8-15 days they will come ashore to lay a clutch of eggs. Well blah blah blah blah to the photos I guess.

This is Playa Tortuga(Turtle Beach) its on the Pacific coast an hour and a half north of Panama. This cove was favored of the 8km of beach we patrolled 24 hours during the nesting season.

This is part of the preserve and biological research/conservation hatchery. The area that is tarped is where the day shift sleeps, and night shift sleeps and also serves as the base for the hatchery. There are 24 hour patrols along the beach and a coordination director(these are assistant biologists working on their biology degree) that checks the eggs and documents everything. That info is then given to the lead Biologist for data logging and research comparisons and thesis information.

From left to right. Mom(curator) Gabrielle(assistant biologist of the preserve) And me(Director)

And now the work. The way this works is the eggs are collected from the nest on the beach. Most of the time the females lay at night. However sometimes they will come ashore and lay during early morning hours, but rare. The eggs are placed into a bag and taken from the nesting site(which each 100 meter marker placed on the beach is logged in the data book). They are taken back to the hatchery. The female during her trance is observed for a tag, and a physical examination is done of that female. If a tag is present those eggs are logged under that tagged female. If the female is not tagged we place a tag on her.

This is where the eggs are placed into in the hatchery. This site was dug up at 43 days and 55 days. At 43 days the data collector(humidity/temperature sensor placed in the middle of the nest) is removed because the eggs started to pip. The sand is placed back over the pipped eggs. Then at day 54 we dug them up to check to see that the embryonic sac had absorbed. and make sure ants had not infested the nest.

Day 43 Before nest check. Notice the data collector

This was day 54(done at night before the beach patrol shift at 11 P.M) check. We do it at night so they dont get rowdy and completely wake up.

Then the following day we dug up the nest to release them as the sacs were absorbed and these guys were ready to go into the ocean.

We place the sand from the nest in the buckets and dispose elsewhere. This is done mainly because of biological matter attracts ants, raccoon, coati, sometimes cats(not house cats) and coyotes.

After 12-14" of complete excavation the little guys are placed into the cooler(for easier handling for the beach walk)

They are then washed off with water.

Of course I have to give the little guy a wish of good luck before venturing off into the giant blue world(0.1% or 1 out of every 1000 of these will make it to adulthood)

Then weights and measurements taken.

The egg shells and leftover eggs still in the nest are placed into one of the buckets and taken to the beach during the release for examination after the little guys have made their way into the waves.

TO THE BEACH WE GO.

And off they are. (Hope the video works)

THEN. We do the data logging. Of course the data logging is taken place during most of the action from laying to monitoring eggs layed previously and new eggs. But also of the eggs that did not hatch.

This data is very important information. It is uploaded to an online database so other preserves and conservation organizations can compare data and detail comparative results of hatch rates, and sometimes of different locations of the same female(through her tag number)

Of the 48 eggs in this clutch. 36 were released. The remaining were mainly Term 1 to Term 2 deaths.

Term 1 is embryo-25% developed turtle
Term 2 is 26-50% developed turtle
Term 3 is 51-75% developed turtle
Term 4 is greater than 75% (Term 4s are almost a pipped animal)

From bottom to top Term 1 to Term 4

In this clutch only 1 specimen of term 4 death was logged. The term 4 had been compromised of maggots and did not make it to full term and hatching.

You can see the comprising factor of this term 4 death.

I know its a little graphic. But it is very good scientific data and has to be logged and done. It benefits the preserve and turtle conservation organizations to better understand and improve on methods. The hatchery is undergoing a comparison of elevated nests, and level ground nests to hopefully decrease the percentage of term 4 deaths like this one.

Well thats it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Great stuff Kelly. So wish I could do,that just once. It's too bad that so few make it. Wish that could be improved on. Is there no worry to putting the eggs in a bag? I know several members have talked about keeping tortoise eggs in the same position as they were found and not rotating them at all.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
It is wonderful indeed. I am not certain how you would go about doing it though besides a good search. Lots of these organizations are completely closed to people coming in. I am sure some are out there though. They are only put in a bag if they are collected from a female. If a nest is found with no female present they left on the beach and guarded. Typically within 36 hours the embryo wont connect and start developing. The 8km of beach that is patrolled is a short enough walk back to the hatchery that it would only take a few hours if eggs are collected at the furthest point from the hatchery. The nests that are left are also monitored and data collected as well. So the variance in fertility and hatch rates stays around the same. So no significant differences or evidence really that the move of the eggs is harmful in anyway. It mainly deals with how many males have bred with that female, how old the female is (more age means more follicles typically), and that age perspective being said can also go hand in hand with health of the female. Good old very healthy females will produce the largest clutches with the largest percentage to hatch. So to answer your question, nope no issues with the bag.

And sorry folks no pics of the females laying. Not allowed unless under a documentary or data needed basis are photos or even lights allowed on the beach at night. Only red lights.

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan
I LOVED this post! Thank you for sharing! I am actually working on my undergrad in ecology, evolution, and organismal biology/zoology and I am planning on doing my masters in sea turtle conservation specifically, focusing on breeding and nesting patterns! While I really want to do research, conservation, and rescue based out of an aquarium, I would love to do some work in central america someday. Absolutely incredible and inspiring. Makes me look forward to my possible future and I love meeting other people so passionate about these creatures!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Of course two of my bucket wishes have always been a) to see a female lay and then of course b) to see hatchlings going for the sea. I won't ever get to do that, but is nice to sorta get to be there through the pictures. So sad to see the ones who did not make it.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Correct me if I am wrong Kelly, but I thought there was a rescue effort out of South Padre Island that asks for volunteers every year? I believe you can even find them on craigslist when they are looking. There is also a rescue on the island that will let you come out when the hatching takes place there. I have been to their place a few times and the animals they have are amazing. I have never seen a release effort though, just the animals that they rehab and can not release back into the wild because of medical reasons like an amputated flipper or lost eye.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Fabulous !!!!
Thank you for sharing.
When I semi retire in FL, I plan on volunteering. Either with turtles or Manatees. Maybe eventually both!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Saleama said:
Correct me if I am wrong Kelly, but I thought there was a rescue effort out of South Padre Island that asks for volunteers every year? I believe you can even find them on craigslist when they are looking. There is also a rescue on the island that will let you come out when the hatching takes place there. I have been to their place a few times and the animals they have are amazing. I have never seen a release effort though, just the animals that they rehab and can not release back into the wild because of medical reasons like an amputated flipper or lost eye.

You are correct. I have gone down there a few times. I was referring to the Costa Rican organizations. 3 years back when I went to another one in CR for leatherbacks, they were very very resistant of even me working there for a week. But it worked out. I know of some in Galveston as well, they work with the kemp ridley turtles.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
What a good read. Thanks for sharing when you go on these trips. You're living a dream of what many of us would enjoy even watching, but you get some hands on work; even better. Well done sir.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
tortadise said:
Saleama said:

You are correct. I have gone down there a few times. I was referring to the Costa Rican organizations. 3 years back when I went to another one in CR for leatherbacks, they were very very resistant of even me working there for a week. But it worked out. I know of some in Galveston as well, they work with the kemp ridley turtles.

Thanks for clarifing. I always wanted to do this and I misunderstood when you said it was hard to get in. One of these days I will do one in South Texas or Mexico.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm curious about the depth of the pseudo-nests at the hatchery. Do you measure the depth of the nests you find on the beach and match that depth? What I was really wondering about is if, because of human intervention, we are skewing the ratio of male/female hatchlings.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Kelly could you send the information to me ? Would love to spend a week helping with sea turtle research.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I used to live in McAllen Texas and we were regulars at South Padre. I never did get to go volunteer. I understand that they have grown quite a bit since last I was there. A friend of mine was able to go down a few years ago and they got lucky and wittnessed a hatching. He said it was unreal, they just kept coming and coming... The kids were up and down the line they had marked off chasing away the birds. He said it was one of the most amazing things he has ever seen. You are lucky indeed to be able to go down and experience this.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yvonne G said:
I'm curious about the depth of the pseudo-nests at the hatchery. Do you measure the depth of the nests you find on the beach and match that depth? What I was really wondering about is if, because of human intervention, we are skewing the ratio of male/female hatchlings.

The hatchery nests are dug as deep as the natural(beach nests) Would be very interesting to know the ratio differences. I had many long nights talking with the biologists about testing/data methods for info like that. There is no way they can tag the hatchlings because they are so little and it would disturb growth. So only way of knowing is going out in the ocean and finding tagged males. Untagged females are tagged when on the beach. So that is the real only way of knowing the sex ratios. Which is very inconsistent in my opinion. But what can be done when they are such long migrating animals in a huge ocean. Also the small percentage of survival dwindles that too. I do know (and it can be seen in the hatchery photo) they are testing methods of incubation on a more elevated surface. You can see the test region on the right side. Its about 18" higher than the level ground. They have hatched 19 nests out the elevated nests, and have seen a higher hatch rate. But would be interesting to know which sexes they end up. As the temps would seem to be a bit warmer. But according to the data the duration are within the threshold of normal hatch dates. So may not pose any differences. Another problem with tropical climates like CR,Panama, Nicaragua, Venezuela etc... where most the sea turtles heavily nest. Is the water table. There are so many fresh water rivers that create basins and flow into the ocean. That it elevates the water table very high. So lots of rain, can ruin an entire hatchery of eggs. Even if they were left on the beach. Also the hatchery is only 45 feet further back from where the turtles naturally lay anyways. So its not like they are being taken very far away.

mike taylor said:
Kelly could you send the information to me ? Would love to spend a week helping with sea turtle research.

Here Yah Go. Should be able to get through to them there. If not let me know.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Padr...511741530?fref=pb&hc_location=profile_browser

Also for interested parties in sea turtles. the Sea turtle symposium is held in New Orleans. Oscar(the lead biologists and director of Playa Preserve in Costa Rica) will be speaking on much of his published research they do down there like what I helped with at this conference next year.

http://iconferences.seaturtle.org/

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Very educational thread. Thanks.