Oldest Russian tortoise in here? Longest roomate?

Mons

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Francisco
I've seen some threads along these lines, but most are old or closed, so I thought I'd start a new one.

I'm curious how old your Russian tortoises are, for those of you who have had them a while. Also curious how long you've lived with them, and if any of them have been passed down to you from previous owners like in inheritances.

I know from online material 40 years is the typical age for these torts in captivity. But I also know folks on here are really serious about caring for their tortoises. Since I've got a Russian tortoise, I'm particularly curious about them, but would be interested in hearing about others as well.

Do any of you have Russian tortoises older than 40 years old?

Mine's a youngster still. He's 3 years and a few months old. He's been my roomie for 3 years.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
I live with a male Russian, Chili, who's lived with me for 3 years, and before that he lived with his previous landlord for 22 years... so 25 years at least, but maybe...

I published a book recently positing that Chili is one of the tortoises that circled the moon in 1968, only to be later smuggled out of the lab by a custodian... it's speculative fiction, and I have no proof, but Chili hasn't denied it.

Jamie