Old timers, ignore this, it's to answers question about my car...same old

M

Maggie Cummings

OK...If you can just imagine, someone had not read the many threads I have made bragging about my car....I got asked about it So, youngsters, listen up!It's a 1989 Camaro IROC_Z The last yr they made IROC. Someone stole it off the showroom floor and slid sideways and smashed the right side (within 2 blks of the dealer, the jerk). So I got to buy it as a used car with 15 miles on it. I have put every mile on it since 1989. When I got it, it had a 302 cu in, so I quickly put 250,000 miles on it and with my workmans comp claim, I decided I wanted to drive this car till I die. It's been paid off for 20 yrs. So I had a brand new in the crate Mr. Goodwrench Special installed. It's a pumped up 350, close to the old LT1 motor. There's pop-up pistons, high compression heads, I think my cam is 10,000th over, but I'm no good with numbers. Has a bigger tougher transmission with Hurst and Schafer parts. 9/11 rear-end. And bigger something else to get more air faster.
Most of the time I can do a flat 5 sec in the 1/4 mile. Remember, it's a street car, not,... well, a full race car. I named it after my favorite NASCAR driver, I call her The Intimidator...
I will race at the drop of a hankie and rarely lose. I was humiliated by a Nissan 350 (Nissan?), but dusted a Cadillac CTS...itIMG_2047.JPG IMG_2048.JPG IMG_2050.JPG IMG_2055.JPG IMG_2051.JPG all works out.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
If I wasn't on my phone, I'd dig up that picture of Bob driving

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Changed my mind. Courtesy of @DeanS
vq7dcy.jpg

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I did another...that was true to the color of Maggie's!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Maggie, I had a killer '76 Datsun B210 back in the day. 8 track player and all! I put the final 25,000 miles of its 250,000 miles life before it was hauled off to the junk yard.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Nissan 350s are great. I have a Fair Lady 350zx. :)

Nice looking car you got. I'm jealous!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
5 second QUARTER mile? There are jet powered cars that are slower! I have a flat out drag race motorcycle that has a big turbo, a slick and a wheelie bar and it runs low eights.......................OOPS! Sorry. I'm an old timer. (I also owned a new 1987 IROC)

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow Maggie, I am so shocked. Here I thought Yvonne was probably the trouble maker and it's been you all this time:p
I bet with that car and that plate, the cops keep a close eye on you:D

Loving Bob in the car pics.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
When a thread tells me not to look, I have to, it's my nature. Should I be insulted if maggie thinks I am on old timer. Wait let me turn up my hearing aid.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
How do you do a 5 second 1/4?!? That's insane! Let's see what's under that hood!

M

Maggie Cummings

5 second QUARTER mile? There are jet powered cars that are slower! I have a flat out drag race motorcycle that has a big turbo, a slick and a wheelie bar and it runs low eights.......................OOPS! Sorry. I'm an old timer. (I also owned a new 1987 IROC)

They did other stuff to the motor that I'm just not remembering, but they did put a speed chip in the computer , so that gave a bunch more horsepower. I'll have to find out how many horses I got. The problem is there's no weight to the car at all. So I have all this low-end torque and no weight on the tires. This baby can pull a burnout that makes strangers stop and stare...and a man in blue gave me a piece of paper...:(
Usually in the winter I put 200 pounds of sand in bags right over the rear wheels...

I never grew up, I just got old..:confused:

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I love it! You've put a lot into tricking it out, but how has maintenance been?
It sounds silly and I know i'm young and will probably change my mind, but I want to dive my car until I die, I do not want a new car if it means giving up my car, but i'll get a new one eventually yes just don't want to trade this one in. It's just a Subaru Legacy 35th anniversary edition, nothing special especially compared to yours, but its like a connection... but i'm weird in case you weren't already aware of that :p. I gotta learn more about cars, I know the engines in the front and how to check oil and sill wiper fluid and change tires but that's about it, so all the rest is like a foreign language to me :confused: I shall just make my dad teach me ;) and perhaps a trade school class or 2.
I am envious of your car though! And the fact that you've had it from there beginning and all those miles are yours! Pretty special! Is this the car you used to take little Bob for cruises in?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Love the car Maggie! It's nice to find "car people" on this forum. When you keep a car as long as you have had this one they become like family. Sorta like keeping tortoises. I have had a few cars over the years, some fast enough to challenge your IROC, but this one I have had for 28 years. When I bought it, all four tires were flat, the brakes were rusted so the car would not roll, and the engine parts were stored in boxes!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nice, Joe.

Maggie and I come by our interest in cars naturally. Our dad bought and restored old Ford phaetons. During my teen age years, he had a '35 Ford phaeton in like-new condition, that we used as the family car. Being the precocious teenager that I was, I snuck the key, had a dupe made, and when parents were at work, I would take the car out and drive along the beach (San Francisco). It's really a wonder the cops never caught me. I had no license, was underage. But I pushed it a bit too far one day when we went with dad to his office. I snuck down and took the car, but he came looking for me and found the car gone. He took away my key, but I still had another one. You just can't keep a good car person down!!

My current method of transportation is a Dodge p/u with a hemi engine.