Old Fashioned way

Suey

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi I was just thinking , how did the old way of keeping tortoises in the uk work. I’ve read where they just lived out in the garden all the time. What happened when there was a few cloudy wet days, how could they raise there core temperatures to feed and digest their food ? Just a thought.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I suppose it was a case that (if they were lucky enough) they survived but didn't thrive, and had much shorter, harder lives.
I should also imagine a lot were lost because people didn't realise they could dig and climb.

Thank goodness animal welfare has improved for them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi I was just thinking , how did the old way of keeping tortoises in the uk work. I’ve read where they just lived out in the garden all the time. What happened when there was a few cloudy wet days, how could they raise there core temperatures to feed and digest their food ? Just a thought.
A lot of them died.

Suey

England
Thanks for replies, yes there must have been many that died and in hibernation too as people didn’t have the rite knowledge. I’ve heard many say they had tortoises as pets years ago but never survived till spring ?