Oil filled radiator vs kane heat mat

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
I've done some reading and seems both are safe choices for outdoor heating. I'm looking to get either a kane heat mat w thermostat 18"x18"
http://www.herpsupplies.com/product.cfm?id=PHM18T Or a mini oil filled radiator from walmart. I currently have a reptitemp 500r thermostat that I use for Yoshi's indoor enclosure and am wondering if that would be ok to use outdoors with the radiator if I choose to go that route? Also, which choice would be more economical as far as electric bill goes?
It will go into a well insulated outdoor house. Since my electrical outlet is located far away from the enclosure I will have to use an extension cord.

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
Also, I noticed there are different wattage kane heat mats so which one would be sufficient for an outdoor house?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
There is no "versus" here. You can use one or the other or both. Most of us use both. The heat mat allows the tortoise to sit on a heated substance and warm up that way while the heater heats the air inside the hiding place. It would be like you standing in front of the fire place and heating your hands or self or just hanging around in a house that's been heated.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
For the extension cord you can use an outdoor one and bury it in PVC pipe so you don't run over it with the lawn mower.

(I speak from experience....lol)

Or you can go straight from the circuit panel with a new circuit and run Romex through electrical conduit directly to the location. Once it is there you can run it into an outlet or electrical box for direct wiring (if you or your husband is handy with electrical goodness.)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
For the extension cord you can use an outdoor one and bury it in PVC pipe so you don't run over it with the lawn mower.

(I speak from experience....lol)

Or you can go straight from the circuit panel with a new circuit and run Romex through electrical conduit directly to the location. Once it is there you can run it into an outlet or electrical box for direct wiring (if you or your husband is handy with electrical goodness.)

Option B is better than option A but 'regular' romex isn't supposed to be installed in wet locations so it'd have to be uf and then you wouldn't need the conduit and could just direct bury the uf.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've done some reading and seems both are safe choices for outdoor heating. I'm looking to get either a kane heat mat w thermostat 18"x18"
http://www.herpsupplies.com/product.cfm?id=PHM18T Or a mini oil filled radiator from walmart. I currently have a reptitemp 500r thermostat that I use for Yoshi's indoor enclosure and am wondering if that would be ok to use outdoors with the radiator if I choose to go that route? Also, which choice would be more economical as far as electric bill goes?
It will go into a well insulated outdoor house. Since my electrical outlet is located far away from the enclosure I will have to use an extension cord.

Where do you live?

A small Kane heat mat is not going to heat the air in the box. I tried this for years. You'll need the Kane mat on bottom and another heating element on top. I prefer radiant heat panels for safety. Many people "slow burn" their tortoises carapaces with light bulbs and CHEs in outdoor boxes.

If you run the oil heater, I suggest using at least a 1000 watt thermostat and running the heater on the low setting only. I have not yet used the Hydrofarm thermostat, but many people who have recommend it. Its on my list of things to try.

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
Thanks all! I live in elk grove,ca. It's nice and warm nowadays but nighttime gets to be in the upper 50's.
I'll add the radiant heat panel to my options.
What wattage heat panel and heat mat for a box 3'x2'x2'? Insulated.
It's a temporary setup.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks all! I live in elk grove,ca. It's nice and warm nowadays but nighttime gets to be in the upper 50's.
I'll add the radiant heat panel to my options.
What wattage heat panel and heat mat for a box 3'x2'x2'? Insulated.
It's a temporary setup.

I think there is an 18x18" heat mat and there is a 12x12" RHP. These should work for you.