Oil filled heater and metal heat shield?

Jtort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
We're going to be building our tort house on Wednesday. It's going to be a combination of Tom's design and Heather's design. After re-reading both threads completely I have a question that might seem silly....

Why is there a metal heat shield only on the top (ceiling) of where the mini oil filled heater is placed?

I've never used an oil filled heater before but after googling how they work I still don't understand why the heat shield is only placed on top (on the ceiling). I'm guessing it's placed there to protect the wood from getting hot and starting a fire, but why not also place a heat shield on the side next to the heater? I know heat travels up but with the proximity of the heater to the wall, isn't it pretty much the same situation as the ceiling? Am I missing something? :confused:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I saw both @Tom and @N2TORTS only place the heat shields above the heat sources...so I did. ;)

It's never really hot to the touch.. my house is well insulated, so the oil radiator doesn't click on often or for long.

Also, my side wall (facing the tort side) is open...so heat isn't really trapped in the small box. ...let me find a photo.
23r4b2s.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had a friend who let his full size oil heater run on high all winter long with no thermostat about 3" from the wooden ceiling and actually against the side walls. It never caused a problem. I would NEVER run one that way, but the heat tends to rise. I'm certain I don't even need the heat shield, but I figure it doesn't hurt anything and its some added safety, even if its not really needed.

Jtort

5 Year Member
So Cal
Thanks. Where do we buy these? Home Depot?