Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
:) Would it be bad if I did?????

Okay I did! I talked to the manager of that store for a half an hour about her (and torts in general) as he has many as pets at home. And then I just couldn't say no!!!! I sooooooooooooo love her!! (And it helped that all reptiles were on sale, 25% off.)

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Oh Kelly - you are so funny! How could you say no to 25% off? I could never walk away from a sale!! Congrats!!!!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Congrats Kelly! She is nice. I figured that was one of your setups she was in with that blue liner. ;)

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
TestudoGeek said:
She does look good, Kelly. So this would be your 9th tort, right? ;-P How big is she?

Heck she has 9 Russians alone, lol. Plus the new Leopard and this RF so thats 11! :)

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
actually I only have 8 Russians, so with the Leopard and Red-Foot that's 10!

LOL the blue liner gives it away, huh?!?!

She's about 4.5 inches (haven't measured her properly yet), and Joe Heinen looked at a pic of her plastron and says she's likely female, tho' of course it's too early to be 100%.

Thanks, ya'll!!!!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
cvalda said:
actually I only have 8 Russians, so with the Leopard and Red-Foot that's 10!

LOL the blue liner gives it away, huh?!?!

She's about 4.5 inches (haven't measured her properly yet), and Joe Heinen looked at a pic of her plastron and says she's likely female, tho' of course it's too early to be 100%.

Thanks, ya'll!!!!

Kelly that looks like he might be from Colombian locale [ guestimate ]. A very nice looking redfoot. "Yellow" ones aren't seen that often these daze..
36_10_1.gif

Measure him like this.. shown is 3 1/4".

ASCL.jpg

Let's see that plastron pic.. although he is too small.

Terry

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I will measure her properly tomorrow. I just held the ruler next to her and it looked to be 4.5 inches. I've been trying not to handle her too much yet, until she gets used to her surroundings! Of course, duh, then i'll have something bigger built for her, and she'll have to get used to that! LOL!

I did snap the pick of her plastron when I got her home:
102_3996.jpg

It's just slightly concave.

Here's a pic I snapped today:
102_4012.jpg

I'll be pulling that hay out soon... I read your other post and will check that link... so what is BEST for substrate for her if not the Bed a Beast???

Also nighttime temps...??? Is a red light okay to help keep it warm?!?

I just love this sweetie! She finally came out of her hiding spot under the hay tonight and wandered around for more than an hour! I need to make her new enclosure more interesting for her! She was so funny going back and forth, and each time she'd go through the water dish, but she'd hold her shell way up high so only her legs were in the water when she'd pass through! Of course she could have gone around the water, but that wouldn't be as fun, I guess!!!

Anyone have pics of redfoot enclosures for ideas?!?!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Oh and I meant to say, the red on the torts in pics kinda creeps me out! I love her yellow! LOL! I'm glad to hear what kind she is!!!! Oh the coloring on her legs is a much paler orange than appears in the pic of her plastron!

Any guestimates on age???

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Terry, I've emailed you! LOL! I had so many more questions!!!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Kelly, Sometimes I am really brain dead. All you have to do is lay a piece of trim across your enclosure to lay the plexi on to support it. ;)

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
cvalda said:
I will measure her properly tomorrow. I just held the ruler next to her and it looked to be 4.5 inches. I've been trying not to handle her too much yet, until she gets used to her surroundings! Of course, duh, then i'll have something bigger built for her, and she'll have to get used to that! LOL!

I did snap the pick of her plastron when I got her home:
102_3996.jpg

It's just slightly concave.

Here's a pic I snapped today:
102_4012.jpg

I'll be pulling that hay out soon... I read your other post and will check that link... so what is BEST for substrate for her if not the Bed a Beast???

Also nighttime temps...??? Is a red light okay to help keep it warm?!?

I just love this sweetie! She finally came out of her hiding spot under the hay tonight and wandered around for more than an hour! I need to make her new enclosure more interesting for her! She was so funny going back and forth, and each time she'd go through the water dish, but she'd hold her shell way up high so only her legs were in the water when she'd pass through! Of course she could have gone around the water, but that wouldn't be as fun, I guess!!!

Anyone have pics of redfoot enclosures for ideas?!?!

Kelly when you check out that link all of your Q?'s will be answered. I'm not trying to persuade anyone to 'join' our forum.. although that would be nice.. my purpose is to provide the best { backed by chronological pics } care possible. My early '05 hatchlings look as smooth as WC. So I'm trying to help everyone realize that all torts are not cared for the same.. especially redfoots!

She (?) could be maybe about around a year and a half or 2.

You don't like red huh? Maybe you like this hatchling from May '07.. one of my "keepers".. since yellow ones are not that common..

KellyYellyII.jpg

KellyYelly.jpg

Day / night temps the same.. 80F min. to 90F in hide. Cypress mulch thru-out enclosure.. sphagnum [ NOT PEAT MOSS ] in hide.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Thanks for your time and answering all my questions!!!

That little one is GORGEOUS! you had a pic somewhere on your site of a little one with a really chocolatey shell and very yellow spots! I was in love! LOL! now I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for one like that!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
cvalda said:
Thanks for your time and answering all my questions!!!

That little one is GORGEOUS! you had a pic somewhere on your site of a little one with a really chocolatey shell and very yellow spots! I was in love! LOL! now I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for one like that!

Yeah!.. when I saw that little guy come out of the egg I knew he was special!

Keep your eyes on this.. I'll be taking 'new' pics of the '07's soon - and the '08's have started to hatch now.. http://www.turtletary.com/current.htm

Congrats again Kelly...

Terry

I've always liked these pics..

FEBbaby.jpg

Kellys.jpg

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
TestudoGeek said:
Redfoot NERD said:

this is wonderfull!

This may give you an idea of what hatchlings grow up to look like raised per my caresheets.. these are early '05's.. munchin' on collards..

Munchin05s2.jpg

This is what I do..

Terry

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
So do they all have such HUGE eyes... like a Precious Moments doll?!?! That's SOOOO cute!

Kelly I meant to comment on that Q?

Those huge eyes are because they live where the sun is not so bright!.. around the Amazon Forests / Jungles of South America! Another reason why the light in a redfoot enclosure should be at least half-lit. Half of their enclosure should be WITHOUT light.. the hide and heat spot.

I found this info so enlightening [ no pun intended ] that I'm posting it again..
Tortoises and turtles that live on the rainforest floor (or at the edges of rainforest clearings) tend to feed upon a wide variety of fallen fruits, are often omnivorous, and enjoy regular access to rainforest pools and streams. Typical examples of these species might include Geochelone denticulata (the Yellowfoot tortoise) and Rhinoclemmys funerea (the Black pond turtle) from tropical Central America, or Kinixys homeana (Home's Hingeback tortoise) from the tropical African rainforest. It is typical that such species are not great baskers, tend to have soft, rather than scaly skin and limbs, and possess large eyes - all features well suited to a cryptic lifestyle in the dark, humid rainforest floor.

.. note the conclusion also.. http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/trophab.html

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.