Oh man, oh man, oh man! Why you should never open an egg . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I was opening 3 eggs that did not hatch before throwing them away. Two of them had scratch marks visible. The baby had tried to hatch, then died. I suspect this is because their siblings hatched and managed to rotate the egg, which suffocates the baby, because the air sack gets moved, but I'm not really sure.
When I got to the last egg tub, the egg had been there a week after the last sibling had hatched. No scratch marks, but box turtles always hatch for me within a few days of each other, and the siblings had all hatched quickly.

As soon as I opened the end of the shell, I could see the baby was still alive, and amazing. Unfortunately, it was way too early, and the baby died within a few hours. It's possible that whatever makes this baby so colorful also make it unable to survive, which is why it was developing so slowly. On the other hand, nothing looks physically wrong with it. Really wish I'd left it alone. Poor little thing. None of its siblings look anything like it. It's by far the most colorful baby I've produced.

IMG_2897s.jpg

IMG_2900s.jpg

IMG_2899s.jpg

IMG_2902s.jpg

IMG_2901s.jpg

Here's the mom, Nuri. I got her from a tfo member who was moving and couldn't keep her some time ago. This is the first time she's produced for me.
EasternsWeb-09.jpg

It's possible that this egg was fertilized by Tangelo, as she is part of his group, and multiple males can be the father of different eggs. Or, the baby could have had a genetic change that caused the color difference.
Here's Tangelo.
EasternsWeb-01.jpg

Here are the baby's siblings. Not particularly colorful at all, considering the mom.
Nuri2012-5.jpg

Nuri2012-4.jpg

Nuri2012-3.jpg

Nuri2012-2.jpg

Nuri2012-1.jpg

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Sorry about your loss. The siblings are a bit more colorful then most I've seen. Though I've seen one baby that at first I thought was a painted turtle because of the red it had as a dorsal strip instead of the typical yellow/orange one. Though who knows they may look like their parents they may not when they grow up. Genetics is funny like that.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
yep, we have read on here many times.. to not give up on the eggs until you are for sure.. some wait till they explode..

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Im very sorry that the little guy did not make it :( i guess we all learn a lesson at least !

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Sad, and yes, he would have been a beauty, but now you will know for the next time. hugs....

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:( Even just reading about it, makes me want to cry Can only imagine what you felt like. Sorry. ... and dang I would love one just like either of the two adults. Awesome turtles!

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I learned this same lesson this year as well.I replaced the baby in the shell shards, it absorbed all of the yolk in the next two weeks, and then died. It's more the tragedy in your case, though. I think that one might have been a keeper. It was way better than any I have gotten.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
yagyujubei said:
I learned this same lesson this year as well.I replaced the baby in the shell shards, it absorbed all of the yolk in the next two weeks, and then died. It's more the tragedy in your case, though. I think that one might have been a keeper. It was way better than any I have gotten.

Much better than anything I've produced as well. I still think it may not have survived, as my clutches always hatch within a couple days of each other. The rest of its clutch hatched together and this one was more than a week late but still young in the egg.

Laura said:
yep, we have read on here many times.. to not give up on the eggs until you are for sure.. some wait till they explode..

I wish I could say this was the first time I've made this mistake, but it's not. The other two occasions, the babies survived, though.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Poor thing... Thanks for sharing the photos, though. I've never seen a baby with the yolk still there--really amazing. I think you're probably right it would not have survived anyway. I don't know about chelonians, specifically, but in many cases animals with abnormal color mutations have a lot of health problems. White tigers, for instance. Completely beautiful, but they usually suffer from a myriad of health problems...

AndreaRosie

5 Year Member
When I was little (like 4) I found an egg and threw it. A baby turtle was in it. I cried. I told my dad to take all my turtles away. Because of that I know love my turtles with all the love I can give. Don't feel bad. You were just a curious human. Just try not to repeat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.