Status
Not open for further replies.

treshell

5 Year Member
The only thing I have to say to that Treshell, is what are you on? :p
Danny
[/quote]
I seem to have left all the good drugs back in the 80's:>
-to this thread: I liked the thought of planning what would be needed to get a a tortoise home. What would be the steps be? What would be a good out come. Why do it at all? :cool:
treshell, in front of a warm fire with one more espresso, my drug of choice

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm the steps :)

You need to find a country that allows the export of tortoises (not all do). Than you need an import license to get them into this country.
CITES paperwork would be supplied by the exporting country (you can only export CITES II tortoises).
The tortoises can only come into ports of entry in this country (I believe there are 7 or 8 ports of entry into this country).
All airlines have regulations as to how tortoises can be shipped, so you need to follow those rules also.
So quite a few hoops to jump through to get a tortoise in legally.

Danny

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
trying to save a species by bringing them into captivity to breed them, with the big plan to release them back into the wild ONLY WORKS IF there is Wild to turn them back into that is safe for them. Some species only exist in captivity. There are more tigers in captivity then there are in the wild. Hard to raise them and train them to survive in the wild and not see people as a food supplier.. and there are so few places safe to release them anymore. Too many people.
Some times a change in a law works. Brown Pelicans/Eagles.. They were dying off due to DDT. Thin Egg shells. SO they banned DDT and they made a comeback without 'us' interferring too much.
The first time I saw a Condor in the wild... WOW!! I still get chills. B52 Bomber flying overhead...I made my husband stop the car on Hiway 1 and I got out and cheered like it was a touchdown! I had tear rolling down my face.. it was awsome. Then we folllwed it and found the group of them on the cliffs overlooking a beach with a seal carcass. Ugly birds.. but WOW! This was near Big Sur on the Calif Coast. They are nesting.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.