Off the wall and Off Topic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtpaintball5

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
I had a crazy thought the other day and wanted to know if anyone knew the answer to my off the wall and off the topic question...

Say for example I wanted an Egyptian Tortoise and flew to Europe sightseeing and well stopped by Egypt and scooped up a Tortoise and shipped him to the States... Is that legal? And if so what are the steps in order to bring one to my doorstep?

-J

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
Theres noway that would be legal Im sure they are protected if not endangered and why would you want to take a wild tort away from his home he would probally die due to stress.

jtpaintball5

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Haha... Thats the worst thing I've ever heard... "Taking a tortoise from its natural environment?" No, I was talking about buying it from a person who is selling them in Egypt. Like here in America people are selling tortoises.
Thats interesting you say taking a tortoise from his home would probably cause it to die because of stress. What about Aldabra tortoises? What about Galapagos tortoises? What about Sulcatas? It doesn't seem like the environment here in the states exactly mimic those same conditions. Didn't those tortoises originate from different continents and somehow found their way to the states. However, I could be wrong, maybe they all crawled here a long time ago... What type of tortoise do you currently own Josh?
-J

BGJ223

5 Year Member
Also I believe that since it is an internation shipment it would have to be cleared through customs.
As far as legality goes, I dont think it is.

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
Again what i was saying is if you were to "scoop up a tortoise" which doesnt sound like buying it lol........ Then i was assuming it was wild.... So lets say you ship the poor little tort overseas back home.... hmmmmmm i dont think that shipping over seas is over night so the poor little wc tort would be stuck in a box on a flight over seas freakin out.... I highly doubt he would eat or anything by the time you made it back from eygypt to let him out of the coffin sorry i meant box..... Now where you came up with the whole enviroment thing i dont know ??????????? But i was assuming you were talking about a wild tort as it did sound that way.... Try to chill out AUSTIN

Ohhh and even if it was cb i doubt it would get through customs also..... Probally would take alot of paper work if its possible

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Easy now boys :cool: Lets keep this civil :D

If you did go to Egypt and buy an Egyptian tortoise, it would most definately be a freshly WC tortoise. It is illegal to buy or sell Egyptian tortoises in Egypt. Thats not to say that you can't find them for sale in the animal markets. They have basicly wiped out the Egyptian tortoise in Egypt so all the animals in the markets are coming from Libya.
Than we can go onto the fact that Egyptian tortoises are now CITES I, so all but impossible to get import or export permits unless you are a zoo. The CITES applies to any country that the Egyptians are in also. So if you found some for sale in France, you couldn't import those either.
So all in all quite illegal to get an Egyptian, unless it's all ready in the US.

Danny

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
Sorry.... Thanks for clearing that up Danny:D

jtpaintball5

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Chill out? Lol...

Wow, you sound like I'm some tortoise killer! Lol... I think you need to chill out Josh. I can't even ask a question without people getting all upset and turning into complete greenpeace animal activists. I was just asking a simple question and look at yourself trying to justify why tortoises shouldn't be imported across the Atlantic ocean and across the United States. I was talking about the environment because its justifying why these Egyptian tortoises would do fine in America and flourish like they did in Egypt. Strange because I seem to remember Aldabra, Galapagos, and Sulcatas being able to survive the horrible shipping across the seas and the horrible box it had to be contained in... Poor little fellows. Maybe you should get another hobby.

jorrow said:
Again what i was saying is if you were to "scoop up a tortoise" which doesnt sound like buying it lol........ Then i was assuming it was wild.... So lets say you ship the poor little tort overseas back home.... hmmmmmm i dont think that shipping over seas is over night so the poor little wc tort would be stuck in a box on a flight over seas freakin out.... I highly doubt he would eat or anything by the time you made it back from eygypt to let him out of the coffin sorry i meant box..... Now where you came up with the whole enviroment thing i dont know ??????????? But i was assuming you were talking about a wild tort as it did sound that way.... Try to chill out AUSTIN

Ohhh and even if it was cb i doubt it would get through customs also..... Probally would take alot of paper work if its possible

Thanks Danny for answering my question... Simple question and simple answer.

egyptiandan said:
Easy now boys :cool: Lets keep this civil :D

If you did go to Egypt and buy an Egyptian tortoise, it would most definately be a freshly WC tortoise. It is illegal to buy or sell Egyptian tortoises in Egypt. Thats not to say that you can't find them for sale in the animal markets. They have basicly wiped out the Egyptian tortoise in Egypt so all the animals in the markets are coming from Libya.
Than we can go onto the fact that Egyptian tortoises are now CITES I, so all but impossible to get import or export permits unless you are a zoo. The CITES applies to any country that the Egyptians are in also. So if you found some for sale in France, you couldn't import those either.
So all in all quite illegal to get an Egyptian, unless it's all ready in the US.

Danny

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
Sorry i really not going to waste my time with this.... It was a simple misunderstanding that you obviously cant let go... I thought that you were talking about getting a wild tort as it sounded I apologiesed once and you keep on going, reminds me of my daughter... Anyway i was not refering to the enviroment just the stress of the shipping on a "small" tort.... And i was not refering to u in a TORT KILLER way that is a pretty funny comment though:D.... And i do fur trapping and hunting so i am far from the cry of green peace lol........ So i guess you can read that above post where it said SORRY again.

FGCinHB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
jtpaintball5 said:
I had a crazy thought the other day and wanted to know if anyone knew the answer to my off the wall and off the topic question...

Say for example I wanted an Egyptian Tortoise and flew to Europe sightseeing and well stopped by Egypt and scooped up a Tortoise and shipped him to the States... Is that legal? And if so what are the steps in order to bring one to my doorstep?

-J

Off topic but do you paintball?

jtpaintball5

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Hell ya man... Thats tight. What team do you play for? Do you play in Corona often?

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
Speaking of Egyptians do you have a clue what a fair price on one is?.... It seems like everytime i see some for sale their saling in groups...

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I've seen them range from $300 to over $1,000 each. A fair price is all in what your willing to pay for one.
If your talking hatchlings a fair price is around the $400 mark. Adults at a fair price would be $500 to $750 each.

Danny

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
Thats was about my guess...... Just out curiosity them being so small is their live span any shorter than about the average 50 yr guestamit of most torts?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The smaller the tortoise the lower the life span. The average life span of most Testudo in the wild is 30 to 40 years. It's probably 25 to 30 for Egyptians. The oldest Egyptian kept in captivity was 33 years.

Danny

treshell

5 Year Member
OK, we have some how gotten all of the asorted paper work in order. Found the perfect over night shipping. If we went with the thought that it was neccessary to do this in order to add to the gene pool. We also are doing this because of the real possibilty of having them wiped out in country of orgin. What will we need to happen to make our Noa's ark work. What other things would be good? Like bringing the plants, rocks, etc from a war torn and hungery part of our world. OK fess up? Has anyone besides me in the dark dark past eaten them (and yes they were really good)? A real success to look at is the California Conder. When their were only 23 left in the world, I worked really hard to have them left in the wild. Worked with many of the top of folks in the field. We lost the 'wild and free' ending and I am so glad. Now we have healthy numbers and they are going back to the wild. Just wish they started early and then we would have a bigger gene pool. So does this stir thing up?
treshell, here in 'cowboy up' world.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The only thing I have to say to that Treshell, is what are you on about? :p

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.