Status
Not open for further replies.

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Arkansas
Hey guys,

For those who remember, I had a baby hatch on the 29th with a very large yolk sac.

hatchling005.jpg

Today I looked at her and she looked like this.

hatchlings001.jpg

Not bad for only 2 days, but I noticed that when she breathes, the yolk sac goes in and when she exhales, the yolk sac comes out. Almost like there is nothing there except for the sac bubble.

I know this might not make much sense, but I am explaining it the best I can. LOL

Is this normal? I never noticed anything like this with my last 2.

Thanks,

ARKelly

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
ARkelly, my last hatchling did the same thing. I think because when the shell actually closes you don't really see the diaphram type movement it seems odd. The yolk sack has a very thin membrane (I could actually see the veins in the sack in mine) so I would think that when the lungs expand and deflate the movement it causes would be normal (but that's just my guess). My hatchling closed up quickly and is doing fine by the way. I'm sure yours will to.-congrats on a beautiful shelled baby.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
That is normal Kelly for a hatchling with a large yolk sack. :D Once the plastron comes together it will be just fine.

Danny

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
Oh thank you so much Crazy and Danny. I was freaking out thinking that my hatchling is going to have a hole in it's belly. Wheew!!

I learn something new everyday. :)

ARKelly

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Last year I believe it was, Joe Heinen shot a film clip of a hatchling with much the same condition (as I recall). It was really neat, because you could actually see his heart beating before his shell finally grew to cover it. Think it might have been a box turtle, possibley even a Russian. Just was simply a very amazing video.

Status
Not open for further replies.