Odd Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Louisiana
I thought we could share odd behavior whether we are worried about it or if we know it is normal.

Percy, my sulcata, sometimes sleeps all the way out his shell - like with his limbs sprawled and his head resting on the ground.

I freaked out the first time I saw this because I thought he was dead, now I just hope it isn't a sign that he isn't feeling well. Maybe he just feels really safe??

Dunno - I will try to post pictures.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
i've seen others torts do this where they lie out like they are part of a crime scene. i dont think its much to worry about...

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I think they do that to maximize the surface area receiving sunlight. I've seen river turtles like sliders, painteds, and maps doing that. In other words, cause it feels good.

bdoyle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hamilton, Ontario, CAN
I sure hope thats not abnormal lol mine pretty much only sleeps like this
and he sleeps 22 hours a day right now
haha

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My Hermann hatchling does the same thing. She'll crawl around the enclosure and just crash when she feels tired, lol. Kinda funny. Puppies do the same thing. Play, play, play and then crash.

susan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Diego, Ca.
All of my deserts do that:) I really love it when my 4 year olds use each other to rest their heads on:) Too cute! Or they will pile up on each other to sleep, very odd to see.. I will try to figure out how to get these photos from my camera into my computer. Lord help me ahahah!!

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
and today when I "Walked" Percy, he ate a pebble - and this is NOT the first time he has done this. If there is a pebble in the lushest patch of grass he will find it and eat it.

I KNOW this is horrible for him, but so far he does it so fast I can't stop him. He also stays in his burrow. If I take him out for walks or basking or soaking, whenever I put him back in his container, he runs - RUNS - into his burrow. He is a very ornery tort. He glares at me from under his shoe box- his "burrow."

susan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Diego, Ca.
Can I just say you are soooo cute!! I love that you say he glares at you LOL!!! I cannot comment on the pebble thing mine do it too. I have heard they need to eat dirt and such so I just ignore them eating it and pray for the best;)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hopefully he is not eating too many and not too big a pebble. I hear they can cause bowel obstructions if they are too big and can't be passed. But then I have also read there have been x-rays of torts with quite a few stones in their gut that have not caused any problems. I have heard neither this nor sleeping all splayed out is abnormal behavior. My Greeks, DT, and Sully all do it at times.
I'm sure Percy just feels safe in his "burrow”.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I personally think sulcatas will eat anything in sight. Mine have tried to get things and I have to take them out of there mouths. But like crazy 1 said the splayed sleeping is normal.

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
do they yawn? I saw percy do what looked like a yawn and it worried me because he ate a peice of a gum wrapper the other day.

But he is still eating and he hasn't done it again - so i take they yawn???

they are so cute...

Yertle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Gilbert AZ
I agree, Chips sleeps like that when he's sunbathing. It caught me by suprise too the first time I witnessed it, it does look kinda gruesome lol.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
janiedough said:
I thought we could share odd behavior whether we are worried about it or if we know it is normal.

Percy, my sulcata, sometimes sleeps all the way out his shell - like with his limbs sprawled and his head resting on the ground.

I freaked out the first time I saw this because I thought he was dead, now I just hope it isn't a sign that he isn't feeling well. Maybe he just feels really safe??

Dunno - I will try to post pictures.

I was the same way the first time I seen my sulcata sleeping like that. But he loves to sleep that way under his heat lamp for some reason. I'm guessing to get as much heat as possible when he lays under it.

But that would be neat if he does sleep like that because he feels safe. It makes me feel like I'm doing a really good job with him to make him that comfortable. :)

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

www.myspace.com/bowsertortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.