Obsessive digging at the walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffybee

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have a Russian Tortoise that I've had for almost 2 years now, that has suddenly started to dig CONSTANTLY at the walls and corners of his pen, not just once in awhile. This behavior has gone on for the past month or so now and I'm not sure what's gotten into him! Not only is it loud and obnoxious but I'm afraid he will stress himself out. Is there any way to curb this behavior or redirect it? What may be causing it?

He is in a 175 gallon repitat (48" x 28" floor space)
I have walls blocked off with cardboard about 10~12" high all around
basking half runs 85~90 F
cool half 72~75F
humidity sitting at 36%
lights on a timer @12 hours a day
heat lamps and UV florescent tube
Clean dry light soil for substrate, ~4" deep

higher walls? hotter bulbs? spring is just "in the air?"
The scraping! aaaaa!

Thanks in advance :eek:

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Russian tortoises natural burrow. You might want to put about 6 inches of substrate and let your Russian torotise burrow. Most likely he is looking for a nice humid hide spot. Try providing him with that if you don't want to start using all kinds of soil and mulch substrate.

I dont know a lot of about florecent lights I have never used any. but I would say 12 hours is to much cut it back to like 10 if not less.

fluffybee

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
wizzasmum said:
He is trying to tell you his habitat is not suitable.

It IS plain to see he wants SOMETHING but that still leaves me without any clue what to change. >.O as suggested I increased the depth by another 2 inches to a total of 6, and upped the humidity a bit. Changed his basking bulb to up the basking zone temp to 90F. It seems hes trying to go UP rather than down however. Gonna go out and get supplies to raise the wall height by another few inches in case thats it.

As a shot in the dark, gonna build another large "den" other than his favorite big dirt-hay-mix-floored half log and his grass mat tents, if nothing else he gets one more thing to climb.

I know they have a habit of trying to escape, and climb, and dig. His cage its huge. Frankly if none of the above works I'm not sure what else to change.

thanks again for input

fluffybee

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Awww lucky lucky torts :eek: unfortunately I live in an apartment so an outside pen still Isn't an option. Someday!

I appreciate all the input, looking at sime of the thoughts and after some fiddling I seem to have solved a few problems!

#1 my friend pointed out that the one thing that has changed in my house the past month or two was that I open the windows more.
I took note of his basking area temperature throughout the day and found that it fluctuated ALOT. I figured this was probably due to the height between the lamp and the basking spot, as well as the open airyness of the cage.

Two solutions! I took a background to block off the wall facing my door and window to minimize drafts. Then I built a 2nd level that he could go on to get closer to the heat, and it also gives him more room to romp around.
tortramp2.jpg

I did increase the soil depth and increased the soil moisture a tiny bit.

Seem to be working so far! He basks more and chills out more often instead of scratching. And he loves his ramp. He likes to scoot up and down it as fast as he can when he gets in the mind for running. :rolleyes:
tortbask.jpg

I'm still messing with it. any other suggestions are welcome and thank you again for all the input!

MaBlo98

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
If you have one, get him in the garden as much as possible.
My three have the whole garden where they can dig and hide (oh my they do like playing hide and seek and they all weigh more than 3kg) Butt and eat whatever they fancy to their hearts content. I have read loads about Hermans and Spur thighs but if left to their own devices they will defy all the books and eat stuff that veggies really shouldnt. Even have a go at a toe nail if you leave your foot there long enough.
They hibernate in a polystyrene lined sealed box in the garden from October / November until March and come out as happy as Larry and have done for 10-15 years. They choose whether they want to be hot or cool / dry or humid and seem to thrive. Only problem is there are no males around. More space rules OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.