Obsessed and want to make sure I'm doing it right

Aridlipzero

Location (City and/or State)
Monroe
I got Trixie about 3weeks ago, I was told she's 2-2.5yrs old and about 4" but I never measured her to confirm. Her indoor enclosure is 2'×7' with different lights and an between 75°-100° depending where she's at in the enclosure. I researched all foods she'd need but sure only eats the romaine. I have no idea how much food is to much food but she will leave some everyday but I'd love an actual weight amount of anyone has one. She doesn't pick herself up off the ground when walking, never seen her do it. Like there's a small drag. If someone could tell me an actual lighting fixture and build, exact please. There's too much lingo and I have no idea what specifically to buy and I don't know if the exact ones I have are correct. She soaks every 2-3 days and humidity in tank reads above 80%. Yesterday when I added designs to her tank she was all over it, first time I've seen her awake the whole day and moving around the whole enclosure. I was very hesitant on fake plants, I only put the sturdiest ones in and she hasn't tried to eat them but if she does they are coming out. Since it's fall I cannot find live plants but I will in spring. In dinner we will add another enclosure and make it longer. I will be making at outdoor enclosure in summer but she will still be indoors mostly.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
What species is your tort ? There are great caresheets to help get things right but they have different needs
If you are going to use real plants from stores/garden centres best to get them now so you can wash and repot them and allow at least a year for any chemicals absorbed by the plant to grow out.
Torts are grazing animals so should have food available all day because they will eat then go away but then look for more.
If you post pics of her enclosure you'll get good advice on the lighting and heat suited to that and the species.
The dragging doesn't sound good. Do you give calcium? A small pinch 2 or 3 times a week is enough but torts need a good source of UVB to help them absorb that.
Many members use T5 HO tubes for UVB with a separate flood basking bulb and maybe a CHE run through a thermostat for night heat and extra heat when needed.
CFL/coiled type bulbs can damage tort eyes so avoid those.

Aridlipzero

Monroe
I have a Russian tortoise, I did post a video of her enclosure. I do give calcium every few days and I've read over so many care sheets, some conflicting ideas but close to the same and it's my base. I know nothing of lights, I do have one that was uva uvb, day and a night one, and 2 ceramic element lights that raise temp to about 100 give or take, there's 2 and she is always under one of them on her own choice. I don't know what kind of lights they are I'm confused with the lingo so if you have a specific light fixture and blub please share. Her lights are the right distance from her shell. I've done all I think I know to do but I don't want to miss anything, and she has food available all day and she does leave some but will eat romaine like it's going out of style while not touching anything else barely at all if any. I change out food daily so it's fresh. She does drag her shell a bit, like her back legs are more straight with the ground when moving, in all the weeks I've had her that's all she's ever done. I tried a starve day once and she was at her bowl most the day waiting and I felt bad and haven't tried again.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
. I researched all foods she'd need but sure only eats the romaine.
Romaine has little nutritional value and she needs a much more varied diet. This could be a factor affecting her legs.
There are ways of gradually introducing new foods by chopping it up and mixing it with what she will eat but at the same time reducing the regular food.
As soon as you let us know what species she is we can give you the correct caresheet which will cover diet.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
There is a lot of old advice still being given online and by pet stores and even some vets. This is the up to date caresheet you need and if you follow that your tort should thrive, so forget the rest.
Pictures here would help rather than having to search for your video and will be easier than having to flit between the 2 threads

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a Russian tortoise, I did post a video of her enclosure. I do give calcium every few days and I've read over so many care sheets, some conflicting ideas but close to the same and it's my base. I know nothing of lights, I do have one that was uva uvb, day and a night one, and 2 ceramic element lights that raise temp to about 100 give or take, there's 2 and she is always under one of them on her own choice. I don't know what kind of lights they are I'm confused with the lingo so if you have a specific light fixture and blub please share. Her lights are the right distance from her shell. I've done all I think I know to do but I don't want to miss anything, and she has food available all day and she does leave some but will eat romaine like it's going out of style while not touching anything else barely at all if any. I change out food daily so it's fresh. She does drag her shell a bit, like her back legs are more straight with the ground when moving, in all the weeks I've had her that's all she's ever done. I tried a starve day once and she was at her bowl most the day waiting and I felt bad and haven't tried again.
Where is Monroe? Does the tortoise ever get outside time with access to direct sunshine?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome these are the UVB lights to avoid. Screenshot_20210218-164653_Chrome.jpg
Also the bulb that is like 2 loops.
Here is the style most preferred.
Screenshot_20211010-131621_Chrome.jpg
A infrared temp gun is a great tool to have also. You can check temps anywhere in the enclosure. Just don't point at any eyes.
Screenshot_20201118-094349_Chrome.jpg

Aridlipzero

Monroe
Romaine has little nutritional value and she needs a much more varied diet. This could be a factor affecting her legs.
There are ways of gradually introducing new foods by chopping it up and mixing it with what she will eat but at the same time reducing the regular food.
As soon as you let us know what species she is we can give you the correct caresheet which will cover diet.
Shes a Russian tortoise, and I've read care sheets it's just the info is conflicting at times. I have chopped up the other foods in hopes she eat it and not notice but she picked right though. All I can think now is to stop giving romaine all together, she wouldn't starve herself I don't think.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It ma
Shes a Russian tortoise, and I've read care sheets it's just the info is conflicting at times. I have chopped up the other foods in hopes she eat it and not notice but she picked right though. All I can think now is to stop giving romaine all together, she wouldn't starve herself I don't think.
It may take some time but if you chop up really small and maybe soak the leaves first so they stick together then she can't avoid it. Don't try to introduce too many new foods in one go.
They can be very stubborn little beggers.

Aridlipzero

Monroe
Where is Monroe? Does the tortoise ever get outside time with access to direct sunshine?
Not yet, I got her 3 weeks ago and I've taken her outside 2x but it's been raining too much so I'll wait till summer to get an outside enclosure going

Aridlipzero

Monroe

Aridlipzero

Monroe
There is a lot of old advice still being given online and by pet stores and even some vets. This is the up to date caresheet you need and if you follow that your tort should thrive, so forget the rest.
Pictures here would help rather than having to search for your video and will be easier than having to flit between the 2 threads
Yes I've read that exact care sheet and actually keep it up on my browser for fast reference.