Nutritional Considerations for Tortoises - The "Balanced" Diet Revealed (discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balboa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PNW
Well done!
Wish I had some good questions, I'm sure they'll hit me later..... very slow thinker here.
I really like how you covered the bases and addressed options even if it wasn't your preferred option. :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Thank you :)

It goes back to the fact that not everything works for everyone in every situation every time :) There are a lot of regional barriers, for instance, involved in certain food sources. Some people just do not have access to some things.

I try to offer the benefit of my experience and what works for me, but at the same time tell folks that there ARE other options if "my way" doesn't work for them.

Becki

5 Year Member
Albuquerque
Thank you for addressing the one tortoise home. I have a refrigerator full of various greens for my one sulcata hatchling, most of which will be wasted. It's good to know I can relax a little about variety in every meal. Great post!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
In light of all the new info and research currently being conducted (and scrutinized), I think this is a GREAT resource for determining what to feed (and what not to). Nice job, Kristina! ;)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Thank you, Becki and Dean :)

I have been meaning to write this up for about two years, I am glad I finally got around to it!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
"I try to offer the benefit of my experience and what works for me, but at the same time tell folks that there ARE other options if "my way" doesn't work for them."
This is one of the reasons why I value your opinions and recommendations. That was a wonderful care sheet...thank you!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Thanks Terry :)

I started writing this last night during one of my insomnia attacks to update my own website, and it is posted there as well. The article that I had posted previously had one problem - it was too scientific. That and I wrote it when all of my tortoises were straight herbivores. I had no information pertaining to omnivores, and really needed to get that information in there.

As far as being too scientific, I had all these numbers and values and percentages, and people were emailing me saying, "Please translate? What in the world do those numbers MEAN and how do I interpret them?!?!" I try to help new owners, and if they were having trouble understanding me, well, then, that is a BIG problem. *I* understand what the numbers mean. Other people don't necessarily NEED to understand them. They just need someone to lay it out in simple terms. So that was my goal with the new article.

I still have my nutritional break down charts, but they have been moved to a different section of the site and labeled as exactly what they are. No more having poor newbies try to translate information that they probably never need to know. I tried for a more conversational approach, and I am pleased with the result. I am very happy with the positive response from you folks. If you guys aren't throwing eggs at me, I must have done okay!!! ;)

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Sit under a fig tree.. and eat until the figs are gone? [ what gave you that idea Kristina? inside joke folks ] ABSOLUTELY (period).

It IS advisable to be sure what the 'fillers' are in any commercially created food! They must be compatible for the tortoise tummy! Some/most? just aren't.

Thank you for re-emphisizing and explaining the importance and truths about "variety". I'll always remember how I was questioned about "feeding-what-is-available" in the winter time and "feed-what-you-have" until it's gone.. all of the time. Variety.. as you said.. is not 7 different things every day every week every month - no wonder that concept was confusing, wasteful and costly.

Good job Kristina!

NERD

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Thanks Terry :) And you know I was certainly chuckling to myself as I wrote the fig tree story... Great way to put it though, couldn't think of one better ;)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Good article! I'm glad there is another person saying that spinach, etc. is OK.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Kristina,
Very nice article. The parts about the wild tortoises staying where the food is is very logical, and I am also happy about the you said spinach is OK!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Thanks Mark and Neal :)

Just remember, the key is moderation and variety :) You can't feed a diet of all spinach, but you can certainly add spinach to a varied diet from time to time :)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Right, I like the idea of just feeding them one type of food for, say, a week. It will definatley help me save some money!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
That is the beauty of it, it makes it easier on US but causes no harm to the tortoises, and in fact more closely mimics a wild diet.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
Kristina---Thank you for "writing-down" what your time and experience has shown you. The best part--is how your "explainations" are sooooo logical. Everything makes sense!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I agree with all the above. Very nice article. Keeping it simple is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.