Nursing my dying tortoise back to health - what should I do?

TremendousTortoises

Location (City and/or State)
London
I have a female, 4 year-old tortoise whose shell has sunk toward her back. I thought she was in hibernation at first but that it was odd she was hibernating from November to May, especially as her partner, a 4 year-old male, had already finished hibernation. I did some research and found out she most probably had MBD (metabolic bone disorder) - she was lethargic, did not move and had a sunken shell. I quickly arranged for her to be under the sun, but she is immobile in that she moves a) very slowly and b) very occasionally. Unfortunately, she stopped moving and responding altogether a bit later. However, I managed to wake her by gently easing her head out of the shell (it was stuck inside). Now I have washed and nursed her back to consciousness, but she is not eating, nor can she move her back legs as they are wedged under her shell (it has overgrown). I truly fear for her health at this point in time and I need some advice on how to nurse her back to health.

MrMarg&me

Temecula California
If you are sincere that you fear for her life, then you must do what anyone would do if they feared for the life of any living being. You must get her to a proper doctor. If anyone was feared dying they would receive immediate medical intervention.

TremendousTortoises

London
If you are sincere that you fear for her life, then you must do what anyone would do if they feared for the life of any living being. You must get her to a proper doctor. If anyone was feared dying they would receive immediate medical intervention.
I have already called many veterinarians but appointments have only been available in two weeks' time. I need some advice on how to nurse her back to health before my scheduled appointment in two weeks.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Please provide pictures, have you given the tort a soak? what are the temperatures within the enclosure? This situation doesn't sound very good, but without seeing and knowing everything going on, it would be very difficult to provide you the proper remedies.

TremendousTortoises

London
Please provide pictures, have you given the tort a soak? what are the temperatures within the enclosure? This situation doesn't sound very good, but without seeing and knowing everything going on, it would be very difficult to provide you the proper remedies.
Yes I have given it a soak and have washed it. I have made sure to refill her water supply and hydrate her by putting drops of water on my finger and letting her drink them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First get her away from the other tort and house her by herself. Tortoises should not be housed in pairs, specially a Male and female.
The stress alone of the male constantly around in such a small enclosure will kill her.
Second she needs to be fed a good and proper diet with calcium sprinkled on every other day, just a pinch. Search for proper care of her in our species section.
Give her daily soaks and add pureed baby food carrots and pedialyte to the warm water soaks.
Get her outside for natural uvb daily but be sure she is in a semi shaded area if she won't move on her own.

TremendousTortoises

London
Did she get any outside time in the sun?
What kind of uvb light have you been using?
Any calcium supplements?
Yes, she has been outside all of today, but usually she is inside as we thought she was hibernating. We have been using a 75W UVB light and have ordered calcium supplements for her.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Both those poor Torts have MBD pretty badly. You need to change your husbandry asap.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you so much. I will immediately do this and hopefully she should get better soon. A quick question: would dioralyte work in place of pedialyte?
I don't know what that is. If it's the same ingredients and for the same use as pedialyte then I don't see why not.

harrythetortoise

Virginia
Yes, she has been outside all of today, but usually she is inside as we thought she was hibernating. We have been using a 75W UVB light and have ordered calcium supplements for her.
Make sure to use good UVB light! Arcadia 12% T5 HO is recommended. It is a fluorescent linear type. Or zoo med 10%. Hopefully the MBD progress will stop soon. Keep us posted!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Am I understanding correctly? Her shell has grown so much that her rear legs are trapped inside it?
If this is correct, can you determine approximately how much shell would need to be removed to free her legs?

I am very concerned that the circulation might be cut off to them. If you touch her legs is there any movement from them? Does she try to pull them in more? Does she ever try to stretch them out?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
As mentioned please read care sheet and review the enclosure, heat, diet, water, hiding, substrate, hydration, humidity. All very important for health and wellbeing. If vet appointment 2 weeks try another vet as there are reptile vets around particularly in London.