Nursery set-up for our baby Marginated tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Here are some pictures of the nursery set-up for our little Marginated tortoise. I bought a rubbermaid, and with the cutting wheel attachment, I cut the top out of the lid (it cuts like butter - way easier than using scissors or a knife!). Then I installed hardware cloth with zip ties. The purpose of this is to let sunlight in, but to protect Buttercup from cats, hawks, and crows while she is outside.
DSC_3049 - Copy.JPG
I filled the rubbermaid with a bag of ACE top soil (has no ammendments), and watered it well. There is a little hill with a flowerpot cave under the hill, and a valley with a little water dish. There is a little half log that I found in the forest, and a piece of bark. She likes to burrow under both during the heat of the day.
DSC_3045 - Copy.JPG
I planted the tub with the Tortoise Lady's seed mix, and the weeds growing in there provide food and cover, and help hold in the humidity.
DSC_3085 - Copy.JPG
I mist the tub 3x daily, and cover half of it to help keep the humidity in. I also move it around the yard over the course of the day so that half of it is in the sun, half is in the shade.
DSC_3052 - Copy.JPG
I bring Buttercup inside on nights that are projected to drop below 60 degrees, but she does actually spend many nights outside. I soak her once daily, too, even though I see her self-soak or drink several times each day. I love that she seems to know what she needs!
Marg4.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
She is adorable!!! It sounds like you take wonderful care of her!!!
She is very lucky!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.