Nursery Bought Plants

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I have searched high and low for anyone in my area who has grapevine or mulberry, and failed completely.

So I was forced to order plants online. We will assume that pesticides were used on them at the nursery.
With that said, they aren't very big yet. Here's my plan.
I planted them in plain potting soil with no additives, but did not wash the original soil off them. For me, keeping the plants alive is my first priority.
It's currently 113 deg in my yard...a death sentence for new baby trees. Dwarf mulberry bushes are to be planted in spring, so they will stay inside til then. The grape I will keep in til fall, when the temps come down.
In the meantime they will be watered and allowed to grow. By next spring, they should be safe re' any pesticides, right?
The 2 little ones on the right are the dwarf mulberry. The larger one on left is Thomson Seedless grape.
Any suggestions how to grow them are appreciated...I have a black thumb!20180628_154538.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Because the grapes are meant to be eaten by people, it is doubtful that they were grown with the usual systemic pesticides. I don't know about the mulberry trees.

I don't think either of them are going to survive the summer indoors. Both need it hot and sunny. You'd need very strong plant growing lights to do it that way. Grape vines do best in full hot sunshine. If you think your temps are too hot and want to use caution I'd put them somewhere where they get morning sun and have shade cloth over head for mid day. I always just put mine in the ground in late spring ir summer, and they have always taken off.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Because the grapes are meant to be eaten by people, it is doubtful that they were grown with the usual systemic pesticides. I don't know about the mulberry trees.

I don't think either of them are going to survive the summer indoors. Both need it hot and sunny. You'd need very strong plant growing lights to do it that way. Grape vines do best in full hot sunshine. If you think your temps are too hot and want to use caution I'd put them somewhere where they get morning sun and have shade cloth over head for mid day. I always just put mine in the ground in late spring ir summer, and they have always taken off.
Hmmmm....sounds like I need to rethink my plan! Thanks for the advice!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I bought three dwarf mulberry trees off of Etsy. The first one arrived looking great. I ordered two more, all with free shipping. I have mine outside in a pot until it gets bigger. I just ordered the other two yesterday.
Are they in the sun? It's just so brutal here. It's hard to find a shady spot, and zero rain. Thanks for your input. Send a picture?

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Are they in the sun? It's just so brutal here. It's hard to find a shady spot, and zero rain. Thanks for your input. Send a picture?
I have it in a very sunny spot. It was 95-97 today. I just got it yesterday. My next two were 2 for $13.99 with free shipping. It seemed like a good deal.

Attachments

• 925554F8-948C-4A55-AC10-BA619D3C3A6E.jpeg
    925554F8-948C-4A55-AC10-BA619D3C3A6E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 42

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Karen, in our climate I make a large basin around anything I plant. When temps are anywhere near 100, which is all summer long, I slow trickle water into the basins until they fill up and don't drain for 10 minutes or so, every other day. If you turn the water off and the basin drains in two minutes, keep filling it. Sometimes the hose drips for hours into the basins. In a normal climate, once every three to four days would be ample, but its so dry here.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
In a normal climate, once every three to four days would be ample, but its so dry here.

Yes, you are certainly correct about that! All day today the dust was blowing. Step outside and your lips crack!
I will find a place outside to put the potted plants for a while until I can plant them, then use your basin watering system. It sounds like a good way to do it.
Thanks!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have searched high and low for anyone in my area who has grapevine or mulberry, and failed completely.

So I was forced to order plants online. We will assume that pesticides were used on them at the nursery.
With that said, they aren't very big yet. Here's my plan.
I planted them in plain potting soil with no additives, but did not wash the original soil off them. For me, keeping the plants alive is my first priority.
It's currently 113 deg in my yard...a death sentence for new baby trees. Dwarf mulberry bushes are to be planted in spring, so they will stay inside til then. The grape I will keep in til fall, when the temps come down.
In the meantime they will be watered and allowed to grow. By next spring, they should be safe re' any pesticides, right?
The 2 little ones on the right are the dwarf mulberry. The larger one on left is Thomson Seedless grape.
Any suggestions how to grow them are appreciated...I have a black thumb!View attachment 243379

Okay so don't get mad :) Why did you get such small trees? I mean, you can get a touch larger trees that are a bit tougher and put em right in the ground and keep them watered and moist for a month and then back it off to about 1 time a week during the hot time....? The grapes will do fine in the full sun as long as you keep them moist for at least the first month (keep them away from gophers...little bastards will rip the plant right into the ground from underneath and poof, gone--I have watched it with my own eyes....) You can use a REALLY BIG planter to start the grapes as well as the trees for the first couple of years and then move into the ground....

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Okay so don't get mad :) Why did you get such small trees? I mean, you can get a touch larger trees that are a bit tougher and put em right in the ground and keep them watered and moist for a month and then back it off to about 1 time a week during the hot time....? The grapes will do fine in the full sun as long as you keep them moist for at least the first month (keep them away from gophers...little bastards will rip the plant right into the ground from underneath and poof, gone--I have watched it with my own eyes....) You can use a REALLY BIG planter to start the grapes as well as the trees for the first couple of years and then move into the ground....
All good points!
I guess price was the reason I ordered the ones I did. I like "twofers", and that's how the mulberry trees were.
And don't forget...I am horrible at this! I'm from PA...you stick it in the ground and it grows! Here, the wind blows it over, the sun broils it, the dust clogs its pores, and the ground is like rock! And the heat!!
I don't think we have gophers here, but the rabbits eat everything to the ground. I have to put wire mesh around all plants or they vanish overnight.
I'll think about your idea of big pots, but if they are so big I can't move them, what's the advantage? Still need wire, wind might blow them over...
Thank you for your suggestions! Why would I get mad?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
All good points!
I guess price was the reason I ordered the ones I did. I like "twofers", and that's how the mulberry trees were.
And don't forget...I am horrible at this! I'm from PA...you stick it in the ground and it grows! Here, the wind blows it over, the sun broils it, the dust clogs its pores, and the ground is like rock! And the heat!!
I don't think we have gophers here, but the rabbits eat everything to the ground. I have to put wire mesh around all plants or they vanish overnight.
I'll think about your idea of big pots, but if they are so big I can't move them, what's the advantage? Still need wire, wind might blow them over...
Thank you for your suggestions! Why would I get mad?

LOL....I see the contrast you are dealing with in the geographic location....so, when ever you plant a tree and have to dig...place your hose end right at the spot you want to dig...turn the water on ever ever EVER to slight so that no puddle occurs but that the water absorbs in that dig site....after about 15 minutes turn the water off...wait about another 15 minutes...then take your shovel and dig--it will glide right through like butter....no more concrete....BUT remember that the plant you place in that newly dug hole will need you to keep is moist for no less than 2 or 3 weeks with daily watering---preferably the same way you watered the dig site...this way the tree waters deep and when you are dealing with a dry windy sunny area...deep watering is essential for the roots to take down deep...the tap root will follow the path of least resistance to gain a deep foothold and the lateral roots will spread quickly in moist dirt....

Twofers certainly are great....are you interested in only planting for food or are you also going to plant for shade in addition to food? I mean, is your property covered in trees for shade or a wide open desert?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
LOL....I see the contrast you are dealing with in the geographic location....so, when ever you plant a tree and have to dig...place your hose end right at the spot you want to dig...turn the water on ever ever EVER to slight so that no puddle occurs but that the water absorbs in that dig site....after about 15 minutes turn the water off...wait about another 15 minutes...then take your shovel and dig--it will glide right through like butter....no more concrete....BUT remember that the plant you place in that newly dug hole will need you to keep is moist for no less than 2 or 3 weeks with daily watering---preferably the same way you watered the dig site...this way the tree waters deep and when you are dealing with a dry windy sunny area...deep watering is essential for the roots to take down deep...the tap root will follow the path of least resistance to gain a deep foothold and the lateral roots will spread quickly in moist dirt....

Twofers certainly are great....are you interested in only planting for food or are you also going to plant for shade in addition to food? I mean, is your property covered in trees for shade or a wide open desert?
Thank you! Good helpful advice!
I have a couple trees for shade in his enclosure. I planted some bushes, but they haven't come up. I'll see what comes up next year.
This was taken early in the spring...the trees are filled in and give lots of shade now.20180411_150605.jpeg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Let me guess.... you have hummingbirds galore there! Nice!
Yes, and they are here all year. Lots of other birds drink the nectar too...finches, verdin, and gorgeous yellow and black hooded orioles. Not easy to get a pic of them. They are quite shy.20160519_100807.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Wow, beautiful. We have hummers that visit our flowers and feeder, but no others.

Nice pix!

Ps... how is 50 miles se of Palm Springs in dead of Summer!?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ps... how is 50 miles se of Palm Springs in dead of Summer!?

As you can imagine...unbearably hot, mostly dry, often windy. But I was born and raised in York PA, maybe 50 mi north of you. I remember too well the humidity and winters. I think I like this better.
BTW, I used to drive for a fireworks company. I delivered every year to Greenbelt. Do they still do their show on the 4th of July?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
As you can imagine...unbearably hot, mostly dry, often windy. But I was born and raised in York PA, maybe 50 mi north of you. I remember too well the humidity and winters. I think I like this better.
BTW, I used to drive for a fireworks company. I delivered every year to Greenbelt. Do they still do their show on the 4th of July?

Hmmm. I guess they do, don’t really know. Between Baltimore and Annapolis and Washington, there is enough noise on the 4th. Wow... York.. right up the road.

We are looking for a “good” retirement spot esp TAXES.. i don’t think CA fits the bill. Keep thosepox of birds coming in..