now i'm paranoid

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
ever since the tort starts fire thread... i have some fresh hay in with my new torts and they keep pushing it over by the basking light. i really don't think it could get hot enough (90 degrees tops) but still... dude, paranoid!

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
i don't think you have too much to worry about unless something goes incredibly wrong. the ignition temp for hay has to be WAY over 120 degrees Fahrenheit. remember, most people store this stuff outside year-round.

wayne.bob

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
iowa
Sorry about that.
it was interesting though.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Every spring I brood poultry under a 250 watt infrared lamp on aspen bedding. As long as I keep the lamp 18 inches above I have no problem (the temp is approx 110 degrees). Just watch the correct heat gradiant and secure your lamp and you should have no problem.

WOWitsREAL

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
cvalda said:
ever since the tort starts fire thread... i have some fresh hay in with my new torts and they keep pushing it over by the basking light. i really don't think it could get hot enough (90 degrees tops) but still... dude, paranoid!

I feel you on that. I am either at class or at work during the day, and there are times when my imagination runs wild and I start worrying.
Then, after I rush home, they are (thankfully) fine.

-Paul

Chipdog

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Columbus Ohio
You could always get one of these for some extra protection.

15522060.jpg

http://www.petsolutions.com/Exo-Terra-Porcelain-Wire-Clamp-Lamp+I15522060+C40002020.aspx

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yep, I have some of those. But now that I have eggs ready to hatch I am paranoid I won't be there and something will go wrong that I could have helped. ugh, And I thought being a tort mom wouldn't be stressful.

Status
Not open for further replies.