Status
Not open for further replies.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
TORTOISES :D

Well after almost 3 weeks of pacing and digging where she couldn't. My chaco tortoise finally laid her 3rd clutch today. 3rd you say I just remember the one egg way back when (July 20th). Well when she started pacing in early October, I said to Kelly thats way to much time between clutches. I had thought I checked well when I got back from the Expo, I guess I didn't I went out and dug around in the pen outside. Now remember this is October and it's gotten cold, especially at night. I found 2 eggs. They were very cold, probably around 10C and looked not fertile.
They must have been laid in late August, when I was gone.
I put them in the incubator and let them warm up. After 4 days the yolks settled to the bottom of the eggs and the eggs started to chalk up. It seems they were fertile and just waiting to be warmed up. One of these I'm sure I can see a red spot in these last few days. I guess they needed a cooling down period to get them started, as my first egg still hasn't done anything.
Well she laid another 2 eggs and along with the first egg, they went down cellar to get cooled off for a month. After that I will put them back in the incubator.
So I'm not doing to bad for my first laying season. :p
Here she is and the eggs.
Chacolaying08aa.jpg

Chacolaying08ab.jpg

Chacoeggs08aa.jpg

Chacoeggs08ab.jpg

Danny

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
Congrats Danny! Keeping my fingers crossed that you get little ones soon.

ARKelly

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Great news! Congrats.

Yvonne

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
congratulations Danny thats great news i hope fertility is good and we can expect to see hatchling pictures in the future.
terry

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Congrats Danny! Thats so great, and Im glad you found the other two eggs. ;)

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
LOL at the title of your post, Danny! And hey, you just never know ~ babes could be on the way; how exciting {& yes, it must be a hair-pulling event too, lol} Bestest wishes on your egglets.

Hey Doc, what is "diapause"? Thanx!

Enjoy the day ~
Purpod

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Thanks Kelly, Michael, Yvonne, Terry, Isa, Anja, Colleen, Cory, Terry and Jennifer :)

Diapause is when an egg either doesn't start developing or stops sometime during incubation. Usually they need a cue to break diapause, like a drop in temperature for a period of time and than a raise in temperature.

Danny

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Isn't it great when an accident turns out to be the right thing only in disguise? Great news!

eminart

10 Year Member!
Very cool, Dan. Before I met you and I was still doing my intial "which tortoise species do I want to get" research, Chaco's were one of the species that caught my eye. From what I recall though, they seemed to be pretty difficult to acquire.

What are they like? I'm interested in another tortoise in the future when we move to a different house. I'd like to have something that can live outdoors year round and hibernate. I know the russians can do this, what about chaco's? Aren't they from the cooler, higher elevation regions in south america?

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Danny,

Congrats!! That is excellent news. Just think, you may have learned a secret in breaking the diapause of Chacos. We are thrilled for you!! Awesome pictures too!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Thanks Jacqui, Scott, Tim & Robin and Jen :)

They don't come up for sale often and the only CBs I have seen for sale were earlier this year. I don't think they would do well outside all year, unless you were in southern AZ or CA where winters are cool and dry.
I keep mine like my Greeks, they get cool in the winter but not cold.
I also keep them seperate, except for 2 females.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.