Nova the Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannomite

5 Year Member
Hey all,

Thought I would share some more recent pics of Nova. Shes about 5.5 - 6 months old now. The first 2 were taken a couple of months ago in her old tank, the next 2 are yesterday and the 5th is her enclosure. She eats well, and from what I can tell she is doing well with Shell growth. What do you think?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    270.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    254.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 80

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
She's beautiful! Such smooth growth......how much has she grown? Its kinda hard to tell from those pics. What's her scl now?

But she is beautiful! You've done a good job

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Nova is a beautiful sulcata! I really like her enclosure :) She must be very happy in it.
Thanks for sharing.

dannomite

5 Year Member
Well I never see her playing with it but its always in a different spot when I get home from work so I assume she pushes it around. I got it because she tries pushing her little mushroom around so I figured a ball would work better. I just got it last week though so I think she'll warm up to it more when she figures out what it is.

Meg I'm not quite sure of the length I will measure tonight and let you know. Excuse my ignorance but SCL is that just the Length of the shell?

chadk

10 Year Member!
Very cute! Does she have a nice humid hide? Will she eat hay yet?

dannomite

5 Year Member
Her Green dome thing is kept damp but she doesn't quite like it in there yet, its fairly new (got it with the ball)...theres some fake plant leaves behind the light that u cant see very well from the pic where she likes to sleep so I keep that damp, i keep the substrate nice and moist in a majority of the enclosure. She has access to water at all times as well with her little pool in the corner. I haven't really tried to get her to eat hay yet. I did at first but she wasn't havin it. So I have some food that is made for Grassland Torts that is a mix of hays in Pellet Form she eats a lot of that.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
SCL means straight carapace length (that stumped me for a while too!)...follow these instructions to get an accurate method. I find using a nice smooth wall is best: http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm

That's sweet that she plays with her ball. I like that its a soccer ball, and not red or green because torts will chase those balls and try to eat the because they are food colored (once, Nigel was out while I was cleaning his tank, and he walked over to an old N64 controller that was bright yellow [like a pepper is] and tried to bite it!) You have inspired me to get a little ball for Anouk, my greek hatchling. She's very actve, and does like to push her plants, log hides etc, so I think she'd love a ball!

Nova is a very pretty sulcata!

dannomite

5 Year Member
Thanks Meg! I measured the SCL and its 3 inches pretty much bang on. Hahaha I had a laugh at the N64 Controller

Does 3 inches seem right for a 5-6 month Sulcata? Im guessing at the age, I got her around 4.5 months ago but I figure she was at least a month or 2 old when I got her.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
for 3 in, she has nice smooth growth! congrats! um....not sure about age, I'm not a sully keeper.

Nigel chases toes now too! (they must look an awful lot like fingers) but that's what I get for handfeeding! He's not very big though (5.5 inches) so its ok...I wouldn't feel the same way about a big sully tho!

Do you know how big Nova was when you got her? That might help with telling age

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
very pretty tort! I love the enclosure! Charlie has 2 balls that he pushes all around his enclosure. I read on one of the care sheets that they like to play with the cat balls.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
dannomite, Nova is a lucky tort and a real cutie. Love your enclosure and Nova's ball. Keep up the good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.