not very happy at all with my zoo med mvbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Interesting they have them! As long as they say "active" on the box when you get them (like the website says), and you ensure they are not part of a recall, that is great. I wouldn't however say the price is a clearance price...that is about what I would expect to pay.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Seiryu said:
Well, you said it yourself. You think the clamp lamp that burned out the 2 bulbs was faulty, and it probably was.

I honestly can't say I know of a clamp lamp that can do it up 660w.

Home Depot/Walmart sell Ceramic (absolutely needed for MVB) 250w clamp lamps for $10-12. You can't use plastic socket ones for MVB.

Was the first clamp lamp a plastic socket? If so, that is exactly what the problem was. If not, it was probably just faulty.

What did you use for the 3rd bulb? The ones at HD/Walmart are the best you need, and they work. Been using mine for over 6 years and all of my bulbs have never burned out before their expected life.

Also, PowerSuns have a 1 year warranty as far as I know. So you should be able to send it back for a replacement. Unless you bought these from an unknown source, which is likely also why you got bad products.

Zoomed Powersuns seem to actually be the best bulb out right now, with T-rex no longer making new ones and MegaRay making terrible ones.

Why are MegaRay bulbs terrible? Just curious to know why.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Rebekah...as you may (or may not) know, I'm a huge proponent of the Powersun. I've had no problems in the year that I've used them and changed both out...they still burn brilliantly...but I'm sure the UV output is compromised at this point. Hope that helps. BTW, I use 160W exclusively...helps keep that basking spot at 120. OOPS! There I go again! :p

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
tortoisenerd said:
Interesting they have them! As long as they say "active" on the box when you get them (like the website says), and you ensure they are not part of a recall, that is great. I wouldn't however say the price is a clearance price...that is about what I would expect to pay.

Yeah, I didn't think the price was especially good. Same with their PowerSuns--"on sale" the day I ordered my bulbs, but still about the same as (if not a couple dollars more than) I pay for the same from The Bean Farm... Pricing aside, though, I figured someone here might be interested. ;)

I don't even know where to start on looking for recall info... But I got the bulb, 160 watt "Active" UVHeat, and installed it over one of my beardie girls Monday, and so far so good: not a single sign of distress. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.